Is this ID theft? Now what?

kleep

I've been fighting with MCM over a debt for months now. They say I owe money to a credit card that I never had. They have many violations because they didn't contact me, reported to the CRAs... it goes on. After many months, they sent me a printout with my name and ssn on top with a list of charges. There was no heading and I could easily recreate this sheet in excel. I replied that it wasn't mine and they should provide proof (original agreement with CC, etc.). They didn't reply. I contacted the BBB, my and their state attorney, and the FTC. They sent the same printout to these agencies and their general response is that they couldn't help me.

Now, MCM is claiming I owe another credit card company money. I got an inital letter from them in March and immediately sent them a DV letter. They have not responded but today I was alerted that it is now on my CR.

Neither of these credit cards are mine. Neither of those accounts are on my CR. I'm at a loss of what to do. I really can't afford an attorney or I'd just sue. My credit scores dropped 40 points today because of this latest issue and it was already down because of their first listing.

Should I consider this identity fraud since they obviously have me confused with someone else? Or are they just making stuff up now?

You've already DV'd, disputed and made the standard complaints to the standard people. If these really aren't yours, send the required documenation required by the FCRA to claim IF Theft/Fraud and be done with it.

The list can be found at 1681c-2, Subsection 605B. It includes a 'valid Identity Theft report'. The definition, and reason for, this can be found in 1681a, Subseciton 603(q). That reference also lists alternatives to local police who dislike taking reports for consumers. You can use the FTC affidavit form to fulfil items #3 & #4, but a written statement in your own words works just as well.