trich701

Knowledge is Power!

Beware of calls from Burgess Law Firm. If you get calls, refer to http://www.giovelawofficeexposed.com/index.htm . I took great pleasure in “schooling” this “Law Firm” on the Texas Finance code, specifically the surety bond requirement. She exclaimed, “Surety Bond”, what’s that”? She then said, “Who are you?” I told her if she were calling from a legitimate law firm, then she would be well versed in all of the requirements for collecting a debt in each individual state. They are just a bunch of rude collectors trying to put fear in the debtors. At this point, I am not even sure if the debt is mine as I have never received any correspondence from them. I maintained my composure, and said several times that I was not trying to avoid the debt, I just want proof that I owe it.

Getting a valid fax number and address was like pulling teeth. I just wanted to send them a validation/C&D.

Nice whats is this company's address?

Here's what I found.

Principal Name: Law Office of Douglas R Burgess LLC # 1

Address: 480 Ridge Road West

Rochester, NY 14615

File Number: 20070180

Date Filed: 8/8/2007

Cancellation Date:

Phone: (716) 839-9270

Bonding Company: Old Republic Surety Company

Bond No: 1175411

Principal Name: McCarthy Burgess & Wolff Inc # 2

Address: 26000 Cannon Road

Cleveland, OH 44146

File Number: 20040053

Date Filed: 4/16/2004

Cancellation Date:

Phone:

Bonding Company: Liberty Mutual Insurance Company

Bond No: 016031236

Nice whats is this company's address?

Here's what I found.

Principal Name: Law Office of Douglas R Burgess LLC # 1

Address: 480 Ridge Road West

Rochester, NY 14615

File Number: 20070180

Date Filed: 8/8/2007

Cancellation Date:

Phone: (716) 839-9270

Bonding Company: Old Republic Surety Company

Bond No: 1175411

Principal Name: McCarthy Burgess & Wolff Inc # 2

Address: 26000 Cannon Road

Cleveland, OH 44146

File Number: 20040053

Date Filed: 4/16/2004

Cancellation Date:

Phone:

Bonding Company: Liberty Mutual Insurance Company

Bond No: 016031236

Thanks Fizz!

Your link is how I first learned of the TFC. The nice woman over the phone would only give me a PO box:

PO Box 278

Williamsville, NY 14237

According to the link I provided, this Law Firm has several names and addresses.

Fax 716-833-7066

HI! I have a very similar problem but the "Law Office" that keeps calling is Phillip Frye. I looked up the phone number and it is located in Roanoke. But I can't find if they are even bonded in the state of Texas. Have u ever heard of them? I have had NO luck so any help would be nice. They call non stop and Iam about ready to just settle even though I know its not mine.

Thanks bunches,

P :)

If the attorney's are calling you or writing you directly, then the TFC does NOT apply. However, I doubt the attorney is calling you or writing you, they probably are employing people to do that for you. Read the TFC again and again and again to make sure you aren't missing anything.

This is from the TFC.

(7) "Third-party debt collector" means a debt

collector, as defined by 15 U.S.C. Section 1692a(6), but does not

include an attorney collecting a debt as an attorney on behalf of

and in the name of a client unless the attorney has nonattorney

employees who:

(A) are regularly engaged to solicit debts for

collection; or

(B) regularly make contact with debtors for the

purpose of collection or adjustment of debts.

If the attorney's are calling you or writing you directly, then the TFC does NOT apply. However, I doubt the attorney is calling you or writing you, they probably are employing people to do that for you. Read the TFC again and again and again to make sure you aren't missing anything.

This is from the TFC.

(7) "Third-party debt collector" means a debt

collector, as defined by 15 U.S.C. Section 1692a(6), but does not

include an attorney collecting a debt as an attorney on behalf of

and in the name of a client unless the attorney has nonattorney

employees who:

(A) are regularly engaged to solicit debts for

collection; or

(B) regularly make contact with debtors for the

purpose of collection or adjustment of debts.

This was definitely a collection agency posing as a Law Firm. I did a little background searching on them. Both A and B apply.

Would it be smart to try and make a settlement with this company. It is for a GM cc we had. I didn't DV them and have been ignoring the phone calls. They call about 4-5 times a day. When I did speak with the guy he was very stern and said that if they didn't recieve payment they would just sue us. I am new to all this and I don't want to be taken advantage of either.

Thanks a ton!

Would it be smart to try and make a settlement with this company. It is for a GM cc we had. I didn't DV them and have been ignoring the phone calls. They call about 4-5 times a day. When I did speak with the guy he was very stern and said that if they didn't recieve payment they would just sue us. I am new to all this and I don't want to be taken advantage of either.

Thanks a ton!

When was the last time you paid on this cc?

Ok looking over my cr.... the cc shows as a co dated of last activity is 08/2007( it says a payment but I didn't make a payment), date closed is 11/2006. The bal was 3700 but now is over 5000.00? At one time someone had stolen my card and used it and we went through the whole fraud thing, how do I know these aren't charges that got put back on the account they switched cc #'s but we never made any charges after that happened that we can recall.

Thanks again!

The balance is because of interest changes. If you last payment date was 11/06 you are dealing with a debt that is still within the SOL. I would not mess with this until 11/10.

This "Law Firm" operates under sever different names (out of New York and NJ). Today I found an entry from "Unistates" on my credit report. After further researching, I found out that they are affiliated with the Burgess people who were calling before. Evidently, this firm has a long history of corruption and unethical business practices. If they had proof that I owed this debt, they would have sent it to me. Also the TFC still gives me the right to request validation. In any event, they just stuck it on my report without ever sending anything in writing. I fired off a dispute with EXP and sent a dispute via CMRR today. I also sent an email to Mr. B directly which included the first C&D/request for validation a few months back.