Returned payment

laconic1981

I sent a fax to a CA to offer a pay for delete settlement. They agreed to the terms listed in my offer, signed it, and faxed it back to me.

The fax that I sent them had the address to there office that was listed on my credit report. This address was not corrected.

I sent payment via certified mail with signature requested. This letter was returned to me today. I had to sign for it when it was returned and the lady said she did not know why it was returned.

When I look on the post office the website says

Undeliverable as Addressed, April 18, 2008, 8:27 am, SPOKANE, WA 99201

Undeliverable as Addressed, April 17, 2008, 8:00 am, SPOKANE, WA 99201

Anyways - I am wondering if I am off the hook now with this debt since the CA didn't provide correct contact information or something?

???? why in the world would you be off the hook , with all due respect that is one of most idiotic things I have ever heard.

No your not off the hook, just get the right addres and make sure you are NOT using your checking account or open one for this reason JUST to pay them. you do not need to give them access to further info

What they said. Sorry if you feel attacked, but part of this repair process is learning responsibility and professionalism - and owning up to what we are accountable for. If what you were sending was anything other than money but equally important, you would just figure out the right address and take care of resending it.

Repair is an attitude as much as it is an action. An attitude of "taking care of business" -- not looking for ways to get out of what we're responsible for. CIC is here to help! :)

???? why in the world would you be off the hook , with all due respect that is one of most idiotic things I have ever heard.

No your not off the hook, just get the right addres and make sure you are NOT using your checking account or open one for this reason JUST to pay them. you do not need to give them access to further info

While I think that response may be a little harsh, I agree with it.

What they said. Sorry if you feel attacked, but part of this repair process is learning responsibility and professionalism - and owning up to what we are accountable for. If what you were sending was anything other than money but equally important, you would just figure out the right address and take care of resending it.

Repair is an attitude as much as it is an action. An attitude of "taking care of business" -- not looking for ways to get out of what we're responsible for. CIC is here to help! :)

I am not trying to dodge paying them. I wouldn't have gone through the process of calling them, faxing them an agreement, and sending them the money if I was trying to dodge paying them.. so I don't know how everyone came to the conclusion I was trying to do that.

BUT the law says that all trade lines must be reported accurately. That means the ammount owed, who owns it, and there contact infortmation. The contact information wasn't correct so therefore they broke the law. My credit report and the letter I wrote them had there address on it.. they didn't correct it, I sent payment, and I got it returned to me.. RETURN TO SENDER. They refused to sign for it.. so it should now be there loss and it will be because I will be disputing the debt with the cra's - I have copies of my credit report showing the address and I have the letter that was returned to me.

See I kind agree with you that all information should be accurate and complete, however in the real world it doesn't work that way.

In your future disputes to the CRA's, I would add a statement like please contact the creditor and provide me a current street address and phone number to contact them.

The thing is, when you do in fact owe the debt, to some extent, you play by their rules. I wouldn't look at this as an "inaccurate reporting" violation. I agree with you and Fizzle that what they put on the report should be correct, but just simplify things and get the right address, pay, and be done with it.

Also, as a general rule, I always ask for verification of the payment address if I'm making some kind of payment arrangement. Creditors have different addresses for different things. I got dinged w/ a late once because I used a wrong address on an account with a weird grace period - the due date on the statement was actually thirty days past the due date for the account. I sent the payment to the company, but wrong address/wrong state.