Hello everyone. I have came across some information that I thought may be helpful to those trying to get a Target card. I can not tell you how I got this info as it was not suppose to be announced. But for the next several weeks they will be offering a preapproval to anyone that purchases something. As long as they can verify your idenity you will be approved. I think that the purchase must be made with cash but I am not sure yet. I will let anyone who is interested know tomarrow when I get the rest of the details.

Hello everyone. I have came across some information that I thought may be helpful to those trying to get a Target card. I can not tell you how I got this info as it was not suppose to be announced. But for the next several weeks they will be offering a preapproval to anyone that purchases something. As long as they can verify your idenity you will be approved. I think that the purchase must be made with cash but I am not sure yet. I will let anyone who is interested know tomarrow when I get the rest of the details.

They are taking a big risk. Do they do this on and off?

They usually offer pre-approval to those paying with credit/debit. Theory is that if you're paying with debit/credit, you must have a somewhat decent ability to repay.

It would be interesting if more retailers would do that.

Why in Jesus's name would they give pre-approvals to anyone who was paying in cash? That sounds a bit backwards to me. Paying in cash doesn't afford them the opportunity to verify your identity, whereas paying with a debit or credit card does.

I think a few CICer's received their Target card after using a debit card rather consistently then they received a preapproval invite at the register.

Just FYI.

I was asked at the register to apply, but I didn't know that was a preapproval invite.

Why in Jesus's name would they give pre-approvals to anyone who was paying in cash? That sounds a bit backwards to me. Paying in cash doesn't afford them the opportunity to verify your identity, whereas paying with a debit or credit card does.

Who knows, but then who has heard of a retailer doing this with a debt card anyway?

I went to Target today to check this out. I bought an item priced over $50.00, paid with cash and got a pre-appoval. Just my luck I already have a Target card but I wanted to see if it would work. The cashier said you are pre-approved would you like to apply I declined of course. Then I asked her how they could do this and she stated it was a promotion to anyone making a purchase over $50.00. She said that you still had to go through an identity verification. So I do not know if they will really give it to you or not. She stated that as long as they could identify you that you were approved but I am sure they will tell you anything.

I went to Target today to check this out. I bought an item priced over $50.00, paid with cash and got a pre-appoval. Just my luck I already have a Target card but I wanted to see if it would work. The cashier said you are pre-approved would you like to apply I declined of course. Then I asked her how they could do this and she stated it was a promotion to anyone making a purchase over $50.00. She said that you still had to go through an identity verification. So I do not know if they will really give it to you or not. She stated that as long as they could identify you that you were approved but I am sure they will tell you anything.

Bump!

Did this work for anyone else? True?

I have been declined twice for the Target card. If this really works, I would make the purchase just to get the card.

would be interesting to know if this works. i've been declined 2x for the target red (though the most recent may be b/c i just got a new cell phone # and don't have a landline, so perhaps target couldn't 'verify' me? supposedly they hate cell phone #s?) and would really like it as i don't have a store card and am not all that fond of the idea of getting a CJ or Kay card (don't shop there). however, i'm stuck in the land of low CLs (250-500) and subprime ccs (first premier, orchard...though i just got Cap 1 and BA 99/500) and would really like to add target to that portfolio.

has anyone had luck w/recon w/target after being declined?

Bump!

Did this work for anyone else? True?

I have been declined twice for the Target card. If this really works, I would make the purchase just to get the card.

I would have to think there is some credit started that exist. I your fico is in the upper 500s you should get the card. It is easier to get approved in the stores than it is online. That is where I got approved.

i've been declined 2x for the target red (though the most recent may be b/c i just got a new cell phone # and don't have a landline, so perhaps target couldn't 'verify' me? supposedly they hate cell phone #s?)

has anyone had luck w/recon w/target after being declined?

I was recently approved (online) after being declined last year. Their reason for declining was because they couldn't verify my address/number.

The weird thing is that I'm still using that same cell number they couldn't verify last year, and it isn't even registered to the state I live in now. No landlines in my home either.

I do have a little better credit than I did last year though - my 99/500 boA graduated, and I was recently approved for a 2k limit from WaMu. Maybe that made a difference?

My scores were above 630 when I applied last year. I should recheck them soon.

I would go do this if i thought it would work. Who do they pull?

Anyone get a card this way yet? Curious what scores.

It really all depends on where you live. People have had EQ pulled, others TU. And scores...I guess it depends on what mood the computer is in. I've seen people denied with high 500s - low 600s, and yet my DH who didn't have many positive trade lines, many COs and CAs on his EQ with a score of 504 got approved instantly in the store last June. Go figure.

YMMV.

It really all depends on where you live. People have had EQ pulled, others TU. And scores...I guess it depends on what mood the computer is in. I've seen people denied with high 500s - low 600s, and yet my DH who didn't have many positive trade lines, many COs and CAs on his EQ with a score of 504 got approved instantly in the store last June. Go figure.

YMMV.

ymmv?????

I have to buy my ds some clothes anyway so I'll try it. So cash or credit? I'll try cash first, look like someone got an offer that way.

i'm going to try it in a week or so. i've had a 'preapproval' (receipt) from target before after paying w/a CC, but never when i've paid cash or debit. however, i was discouraged when i took the 'preapproval' (receipt) and applied online (@ the store's recommendation b/c they said i'd have a 'better chance' applying online) and got rejected. idk what my scores were @ that time, but my EQ is in the high 500s now and i was recently rejected by target. my last baddies are from 2003-2006. perhaps it was the fact i used a cell phone (new #) and new employer (though i've been w/them for 1 yr, they don't show on my reports)? maybe it was b/c my utilization (report wise, not reality wise) was somewhat high? i've added some new TLs recently (BA 99/500 and cap 1 300) and my utilization should be much lower (roughly 1-9%) the next time my reports update, so i'm going to try to recon target and see if they finally show me some love. kind of frustrating as target's the only store card i'd remotely have use for and right now, all my TLs are 'regular' ccs, so i'd like to 'diversify' my reports. i'm tempted to go the Crown Jewelers route, but am not fond of their products (i don't wear jewelry/can't think of a ton of people to buy it for).

i'm tempted to go the Crown Jewelers route, but am not fond of their products (i don't wear jewelry/can't think of a ton of people to buy it for).

I'm not too fond of jewelry either, its the $1500 CL showing on my report that I like.

On this Target thing though, is it different from them just asking me if I want to apply? Do they say something different. I went to Target this weekend and they asked me if I wanted to apply but didn't mention any "pre-approval."