whocares

Tax rebates going out early

Here it is: Those tax rebates will start showing up in people's bank accounts Monday, four days early. For those who didn't select direct deposit on their tax returns, the checks will begin hitting the mail May 9, a full week ahead of schedule.

Here it is: Those tax rebates will start showing up in people's bank accounts Monday, four days early. For those who didn't select direct deposit on their tax returns, the checks will begin hitting the mail May 9, a full week ahead of schedule.

already spent- bought a lawn tractor today..

they are dumping them out early because gee wow, we have economy problems. What a shock.. 4 dollar gas, sams club limiting the buying of some food items (like rice) due to supply issues. Food prices through the roof..

Brillent. borrow billions from China, mail out tiny little checks to all of us so we can go out like good little shoppers and buy crap made in china. (who's economy are we trying to help again??) Might help in the short term. But the problem still remains. It's like trying clean the drain on a over flowing sink before shutting the water off.

I sure hopes folks around here pay some bills with it. hope I did not go political.. I tried to keep it on a economic stand point.

I have a buddy that has been hauling scrap metal for 40 years. He says when ever scrap goes up, hang on, it's gonna get rough. 5 years ago you had to pay a salvage yard to take a scrap car, now you get roughly 10 cents a pound for them. I just scrapped a Minivan and got 450 dollars for it! (oh and when scrap goes down, the economy takes off)

Also, copper pennies are now worth about 1.5 cents. (don't cash in on them. our pennies have not been solid copper for a long.. long time)

Can you cite your source so we can see how all dates are affected?

Again here is the original post about when everyone would get their stimulus checks. Now with the recent news about them being a week early, just adjust the dates by approx 1 week. :D

Stimulus Check Schedule

Direct Deposit

SS# Last 2 Digits Pymt to Bank

00-20 May 2

21-75 May 9

76-99 May 16

Paper Check

SS# Last 2 Digits Pymt to Bank

00-09 May 16

10-18 May 23

19-25 May 30

26-38 Jun 6

39-51 Jun 15

52-63 Jun 20

64-75 Jun 27

76-87 Jul 4

88-99 Jul 11

IRS website to verify amount

http://www.irs.gov/app/espc/

WOO HOO!

I know, I know...I should be more concerned with the economy and the long run...but I could REALLY use this money right now!

WOO HOO!

I know, I know...I should be more concerned with the economy and the long run...but I could REALLY use this money right now!

Same here! I'm going to put new brake pads on my car and the rest is for paying bills.

Has anyone received their money yet?

We were on the schedule for the first payouts, and they have our bank info, but no money in the bank.

So much for early.

hi -

We were also supposed to get something in the first batch of direct deposits, but nothing in the bank either. Did anyone get a second notice from the IRS, we only received one that gave basic information about the rebate?

They are also taking the rebates for past debt:( Probably to reduce what several people around the US owe States or FED:)

They are also taking the rebates for past debt:( Probably to reduce what several people around the US owe States or FED:)
They are doing it as a setoff. People owe them, they owe people. They offset and reduce debt by that amount. The same thing was done in 2001. Owing the IRS is not fun, so this helps rid the debt, which is a good thing.

But overall, this rebate thing sucks. If you don't have a busload of children, the check is almost insignificant. Plus, they phase you out so the ones paying the lion's share of taxes get screwed. :(

But hey, at least it will save our economy. LOL!

Past debt.

Well of course, if you have something you owe for, they are going to take it. After all, they get it for back taxes owed, child support, and anything else the would qualify.

I just wondered where the deposit was. Not a peep on the news about it today either.

Something that doesn't seemed to be explained- apparently if you had your recent tax refund direct deposited, then you'll be treated the same. If not, then paper check.

Just found this if it helps...

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,352864,00.html

Tax Rebates Start to Appear in Bank Accounts Monday

Monday, April 28, 2008

WASHINGTON — The government started depositing thousands of rebate checks in taxpayers' bank accounts on Monday, earlier than originally scheduled, with the Bush administration hoping the payments will give a jump-start to a weak economy.

The Internal Revenue Service started making the deposits at 8:30 a.m. EDT Monday with the goal of completing 800,000 direct deposits each day over the first three days of this week. No deposits will be made Thursday while the IRS prepares a big batch of 5 million direct deposits scheduled on Friday.

The government's paper checks will start going out on May 9, a week earlier than previously announced. The rebates, which are expected to reach 130 million households, range up to $600 for an individual and $1,200 for a couple. Families with children will get $300 per child.

The rebates were the centerpiece of the government's $168 billion economic stimulus package enacted in February and are designed to bolster consumer spending and lift the economy out of the doldrums.

While many economists believe the country has fallen into a recession, President Bush last week disputed that contention, saying he believed it was a period of slower growth not an full-blown recession.

"It's obvious our economy is in a slowdown. But fortunately we recognized the signs and took action," Bush said Friday in announcing that the rebates were going out a few days earlier than expected.

The rebate checks are coming as the IRS wraps up sending out the normal refund checks to taxpayers based on their 2007 tax returns which taxpayers had to file by April 15.

Thirty-five percent of those responding to an Associated Press-AOL Money & Finance Poll earlier this month said that they planned to ruse their refund checks this year to pay utility, credit card and other bills. That was up from 27 percent who said they planned to use their tax refunds to pay bills a year ago.

The IRS said all checks for those who filed tax returns on time are scheduled to be deposited or mailed by July 11. The direct deposits and the paper checks are being processed by the last two digits of a taxpayers' Social Security number.

For people receiving direct deposits, those with a Social Security number ending in 00 to 20 will have their economic stimulus payment deposited to their bank account by May 2.

Those with Social Security numbers ending in 21 to 75 will get their direct deposits by May 9 and those with Social Security numbers ending in 76 to 99 getting their deposits by May 16.

Doono Fizzle, I was supposed to get mine Friday the 2nd, they moved it up to today, and it's not been deposited. So........you might get it a week early, or you might not?

Zfire, the way I am reading it, is that they are also depositing on Tuesday, Wednesday, and Friday of this week. So maybe there is hope for an early check yet.

• Like 1

Yuap, read that too, but you know what? We are the lowest of low of the numbers they go by...so, one would assume (not a good thing to do) that it would have been in todays deposits. So I will check again tomorrow and Wednesday.

Z

Well Z, at least you know you should have it by Friday. Since the story says that they will be sending out $5 million on that day alone. xjawdropx