Unique Situation-joint Accts-please Help!

My EX BF is getting ready to refinance the equity line on his house. He is going to use some of the money to pay off some cards. The bank, however, wants him to close some of them because he has too many.

It should not hurt his available revolving totals because his equity line will be more than what he will be losing.

Now, here's the situation. I have good credit now, but my oldest history is 4 years. We were thinking that he could add me as a JOINT user on a few of the cards he has with older history than that.

1. I won't have to worry that he will run the bill up because they will soon be closed out.

2. I will gain extra history on my credit.

I know my score may go down when the line closes because of loss of available credit, but I'm thinking that it shouldn't drop lower than where I'm at nowand I'm hoping the extra history will actually help. Am I wrong or right about this?

I've also read on the boards here that some cards will give me credit for all the history where others will start my history at the time I'm added. That would defeat the whole purpose.

If this will work with selected cards, then I'd like to do it, but I don't want to screw myself up. Any suggestions on this would be greatly appreciated.