Help me impress my Dad Just once! Remove Bogus Collection off 76 year old dads CR?

iZ

My father is an ex navy boxer, golden gloves champ, big game hunter, Dr, cowboy, hard to impress and never asks for help. until now.

He is not internet savvy, and he asked me to try to fix his FiCO which is affecting his insurance rates. It was not easy for him to find the humility to ask for help of any kind, so I want to help him fix this problem if I can with the wisdom of the Gurus on this board and I humbly ask for your guidance in the smartest way to go about this.

Here are the facts:

0 LATE IN LAST 60 DAYS

OLDEST ACCOUNTS 20 YRS

DEBT RATIO 1%

AVERAGE AGE OF ACCOUNTS 8 YEARS

Scores:

EQUIFAX: 733

EXPERIAN 810 (no collection listed here)

TRANSUNION: 701 (ouch!)

COLLECTION: INFO LISTED BELOW seems like it was a diabeties shipment of some kind.

TRANSUNION

CREDITOR: MED 1 02 Diabetes Supplies

The collection Agency M & M credit was hired to collect a debt of $490 originally owned by MED 1 02 Diabetes Supplies account xxx1230

Collection Agency: M & M Credit

Original balance: $490

Current balance 0?

Status NOT REPORTED

Date assigned Feb 13 2003

Date reported FEB 10 2006

Date last active NOT REPORTED

DATE PAID: JUNE 1ST 2003

Date closed: JUNE 1ST 2003

Original lender: MED 1 02 Diabetes Supplies

Account Number: XX1230

Type of Account: Not Reported

Account Holder: Individual

Type of credit: Not Reported

Payment Status: Not reported

Largest Past Balance: Not reported

Amount Past Due: Not Reported

Account Descriptions: Not Reported

EQUIFAX

Collection: 168yc00000

Original balance: $490

Current balance 0?

Status Paid

Date assigned feb 1 2003

Date reported April 1st 2005

Date last active sept 01 2002

Date closed: not reported

Original lender: Not Reported

Account Number: XX1230

Type of Account: Not Reported

Account Holder: Individual

Type of credit: Not Reported

Payment Status: Not reported

Largest Past Balance: Not reported

Amount Past Due: Not Reported

Account Descriptions: Not Reported

Experian: Collection not listed at all.

Could you please give me a step by step on how to resolve this for him?

How would you fix this if this was your father? He doesnt know if he paid them or not.

he doesnt even know who they are.

Thank you!

iZ

The basic steps are:

1. Send dispute letters to TU and EQ.

2. Send DV letters to the collection agency asking them to validate or delete.

3. After you've done the above two and it's still on the CR, contact the original creditor and see if they will pull the account back from collections if you pay it. You can offer a lesser amount. Get this in writing.

4. If the original creditor won't work with you, send the collection agency a pay for delete letter (PFD) saying you'll pay X amount in exchange for them deleting the account from your credit report.

If you do steps 1 & 2 at the same time, the entire process should take 30-60 days. Of course, no results are guaranteed and you may end up having to pay the entire amount.

If you don't fully understand about disputes, DVs, or PFDs, then do your research before you send anything out.

I don't have any experience disputing medical tradelines, but if the account comes back verified.... I would dispute it again, this time with an ITS for illegally disclosing medical info. FACTA specifically bans this type of reporting that identifies a medical condition. Why should your dad's creditors have to know he's diabetic?

One of the CRAs says it's a paid collection, so the CA probably forgot to update TU.

Both of those accounts are showing as paid guys and they are coded correctly so no one is actually seeing for what type of medical condition it's for. There is no basis for an ITS from what I see listed here. There is nothing illegal at all with how they are coded. If anything, you will just piss them off and they won't do a thing with the accounts but leave them on the CR till they age off. Dispute them as "not mine" with the CRAs and see what happens. If it comes back verified then dispute them as "obsolete, too old to stay on file." Try those first, then you can work on a GW letter if they still come back verified.

Both of those accounts are showing as paid guys and they are coded correctly so no one is actually seeing for what type of medical condition it's for. There is no basis for an ITS from what I see listed here. There is nothing illegal at all with how they are coded.

I have to disagree with isislc:

TRANSUNION

The collection Agency M & M credit was hired to collect a debt of $490 originally owned by MED 1 02 Diabetes Supplies account xxx1230

A creditor shouldn't have access to this medical info. Read FACTA again.

As for the status. Despite the fact that both report a $0 balance, the account status is not explicitly reported as paid on TU, so the system may consider it an open collection, which could account for the 32 points difference between EQ and TU scores. There is no harm disputing account status. Although I may start with "not mine" and then everything else.

If I understand the reporting process correctly if anyone other than the consumer were to pull the report the entry would be named "Mecial related" or something to that nature. The consumer is supposed to be the only one that sees the actual name. Again, just what I read somewhere.

I have to disagree with isislc:

TRANSUNION

A creditor shouldn't have access to this medical info. Read FACTA again.

Sorry but you need to re-read FACTA and my post again. Here is a little more information as to why I responded the way I did.

FACTA

7. Medical Information and Consumer Reports states...

Under a new FACTA provision, consumer reporting agencies may not report the name, address, and telephone number of any medical creditor unless the information is provided in codes that do not identify or infer the provider of care or the individual's medical condition.

In my last post I stated:

they are coded correctly so no one is actually seeing for what type of medical condition it's for.

When a CRA uses the medical code, MED, in front of the medical provider's name, identifying information, etc this particular code masks that information for all but the CRA who placed it there and the owner of the CR. Now EQ's method of coding is by masking everything like this 168yc00000, which makes it harder for the owner of the CR to be able to dispute the account.

Now, we all agree that they shouldn't be reporting any medical info at all but they are splitting hairs by hiding behind HIPAA regulation (45 CFR 146.502(a)) which states:

1. "Permitted uses and disclosures A covered entity is permitted to use or disclose protected health information as follows:

i. To the individual;

ii. For treatment, payment, or health care operations..

iii. Incident to a use or disclosure otherwise permitted or required by this subpart.."

Now this goes even further in regards to your state statutes in whether or not permission is required in order to forward said medical information to a collection agency period. Again hairs get split where most statutes state that providing medical information is permissable without permission to the extent that the records are needed for billing, collection or payment of claims.

I still stand by just disputing first, everyone agreed on this so far. By using "not mine", since the accounts look like they are paid then there is a good chance they will be deleted because of how old they are. But I also stand by an ITS letter not being useful at all here. Hope this is a little clearer for you. :D

iz: Please reassure your Dad that you now have some idea of how to deal with this. You might also let him know that any score over 700 is excellent. This board strongly encourages that all inaccurate info be corrected, but it's unlikely scores that high are having a huge impact on his insurance rates.

We look forward to seeing how this goes...

iz: Please reassure your Dad that you now have some idea of how to deal with this. You might also let him know that any score over 700 is excellent. This board strongly encourages that all inaccurate info be corrected, but it's unlikely scores that high are having a huge impact on his insurance rates.

Agreed.

This advice is 100% accurate. In some states, including California, where I live, it is now illegal to use credit scores as a basis for insurance premiums. But that's an aside since he obviously doesn't live in CA. I would not sweat this too much and he shouldn't either. But if you can get the stuff deleted, that would be great too.

Thank you all so much I really appreciate all the advice! You guys are great!

a couple of points of clarity:

his auto and homeowners insurance is also affected as he is rated as good. not very good.

I know this because i was able to reduce his auto insurance by using my step mothers very good rating instead. But he still wants his fixed. PS I saved him $150 on his auto insurance and $145 so far on the homeowners by just saying I am going to shop around to the small town people that have had the accounts for 20 years without review. . I have not even taken any home owners bids yet. (I am open to suggestions he pays 4500 a year!)

But I gotta tell you to hear him bragging to my 96 year old grandmother

about how i saved him $150 on his auto ins. and that I was going to try to fix his fico - PRICELESS!

So what I understand, is that the first move is to dispute it as not his correct?

FYI he said he paid it and it looks marked as paid. but only after it went to collections

Thank you all so much I really appreciate all the advice! You guys are great!

a couple of points of clarity:

his auto and homeowners insurance is also affected as he is rated as good. not very good.

I know this because i was able to reduce his auto insurance by using my step mothers very good rating instead. But he still wants his fixed. PS I saved him $150 on his auto insurance and $145 so far on the homeowners by just saying I am going to shop around to the small town people that have had the accounts for 20 years without review. . I have not even taken any home owners bids yet. (I am open to suggestions he pays 4500 a year!)

But I gotta tell you to hear him bragging to my 96 year old grandmother

about how i saved him $150 on his auto ins. and that I was going to try to fix his fico - PRICELESS!

So what I understand, is that the first move is to dispute it as not his correct?

FYI he said he paid it and it looks marked as paid. but only after it went to collections

Have you tried Erie Insurance (if they operate in your state)? They didn't pull credit when I got insurance from them and they were by far the lowest quote. By the way, their service, when you do have a claim, is excellent.

up date: we got a WHOPPING $1500 off his home owners, apples to apples, and he is thrilled.

now as to the fico: 1st step:

1) dispute as not his and incorrect to please be removed from his CRA's

correct?

Where can I find a form for this? and should I send it certified?

Your first round of disputes, as we all agreed should be "not mine".

It's better to send it certified, so they don't play around with the 30 days deadline.

Your credit report must tell you all the details for filing a dispute.

Basically, identify the person whose report you are disputing, DOB, SSN, current and former addresses, report #.

And then the info you are disputing, in this case the CA's name, account #, and what you're disputing about it ("not mine").