daisymay

Questions Regarding Judgment on Ex-Relative

I just received a letter from the county court that appears to be a judgment on my ex-daughter in law (Sherry). I'd like to let her know some options to dispute the judgment when I forward the letter to her.

Some Facts:

* The letter was addressed to Sherry but was sent to my address.

* Sherry has never, ever lived at my address, even when married to my son.

* They have been divorced for several years.

* No one has come to our door to serve court papers for Sherry.

* For the last 18 months, Sherry has lived in Colorado so she obviously was not served court papers.

Does she have any recourse to have the judgment removed under these circumstances?

Thanks!

Does she have any recourse to have the judgment removed under these circumstances?

Thanks!

Yes. But as a practical matter she might simply choose to attack its validity in the event anyone ever tries to domesticate it to Colorado under the UEFJA.

HMMV (her mileage may vary)

I just received a letter from the county court that appears to be a judgment on my ex-daughter in law (Sherry). I'd like to let her know some options to dispute the judgment when I forward the letter to her.

Some Facts:

* The letter was addressed to Sherry but was sent to my address.

* Sherry has never, ever lived at my address, even when married to my son.

* They have been divorced for several years.

* No one has come to our door to serve court papers for Sherry.

* For the last 18 months, Sherry has lived in Colorado so she obviously was not served court papers.

Thanks!

Err..if she doesn't live there and never has, why don't you just send it back marked "no such person at this residence"? You have no responsibility to forward it. Also, how do you know it's a judgment without having opened it?

May I ask what UEFJA is about? Also, about a month ago Sherry moved to Las Vegas so she's no longer living in Colorado, but Nevada. Does UEFJA apply there as well?

What does "HMMV" mean relative to my thread?

Thanks.

Sending it back "no such person at this residence" wouldn't achieve anything at this point.

I have not opened the letter since it isn't addressed to me. However, the way the document was loaded in the envelope clearly shows the "Judgment" box marked above the name/address. There is no question of what it is.

I know I don't have a responsibility to forward it, but I do like my ex-daughter-in-law and feel she should know about this.

Err..if she doesn't live there and never has, why don't you just send it back marked "no such person at this residence"? You have no responsibility to forward it. Also, how do you know it's a judgment without having opened it?
May I ask what UEFJA is about?
Judgments. Specifically, judgments rendered in a state you don't happen to be living in at the moment
Also, about a month ago Sherry moved to Las Vegas so she's no longer living in Colorado, but Nevada. Does UEFJA apply there as well?
Presumably yes. There are however a few states that haven't adopted it. It has its greatest application in child support scenarios but it also can be used by judgment creditors.

What does "HMMV" mean relative to my thread?

Thanks.

YMMV is a standard internet terminology meaning that the scenario a poster is predicting isn't necessarily the scenario that will ultimately come to pass. In other words, attacking it under the UEFJA when it tries to follow her may be an inferior approach to hiring a distant lawyer and trying to have the judgment vacated in the state where it was originally rendered.