lapoolboy

Trying to get foot in the door at Bank of America

Hello guys and gals,

I recieved what I thought was a preapproved offer from Bank of America for one of their college alumni association platinum cards. I completed the application online and got the 10 day wait time for decision message. I called a few days later and found out I was declined. I asked about the partially secured 99/500 card and the rep told me I had to apply for the Platinum Plus and be turned down and I "might" get a counter offer for the 99/500 card. She said the college alumni cards did not offer that option upon being turned down for one. Doh!

Anyway, I wait for the decline letter to come in the mail and it simply said I was declined due to past deliquency/collection blah blah blah. There was no offer for any secured card included.

My scores have been in the gutter for awhile but now range 683-698. Over the past few years, Chevron was the only company willing to offer me a chance. I started out with a $400 limit and a few months ago they upped me to a $2000 credit limit without me even asking! I pay that card in full every month.

Now, my questions....if I didn't get an offer for the secured Visa upon decline of the other card, does that mean I'll be turned down? It does list the secured Visa online when I check for preapproved offers. Anyway, I completed the application online and printed it out to mail in with my deposit. Will they pull a hard inquiry at the point of the online application or will they do that when they recieve my signed paper application with the deposit? I'm unclear if the online procedure is the actual application process or if that just fills in the blanks to print out the paper application to mail in.

I'm reconsidering mailing the application now because I've read about many people actually being turned down for a fully secured card at Bank of America!!! I sure don't want my $1000 deposit tied-up if they're going to decline it. If I don't send in the application, will I still see an inquiry from the online portion of the process?

I'm suprised they gave you the cold shoulder with your scores. You might write them a letter and ask them to kindly reconsider.

I don't know if you have a checking account with them or a savings account...but if you do you might tell them how much you are enjoying that service to remind them that they are dealing with not just an applicant but a customer. :)

http://debt-consolidation-credit-repair-service.com/forums/showthread.php?p=942114#post942114

This thread and a similar thread will answer your questions.

Just to give you a head's up, I did start off with having a checking account with BOA that is fully used and to have a credit card with them was really a secondary thing.

It is probably the most convenient way of banking IMHO. The bill pay is awesome...most of my billers can be paid next day except for HSBC Auto and my landlady. Yet HSBC Credit Card is next day...go figure. My other bank was 50/50 with my billers. If you're not one of those who loves to overdraft, you will love banking with BOA.

Do the online app...you will save one week of waiting and opening up a bank account will take minutes online. Everything is free (except the savings...I did not want a savings account because I don't like the monthly fees).

Not sure if this helps but I also was turned down for everything I tried through bank of america but I went ahead and sent them a check for $500 with a secured visa application anyway just for the hell of it and they actually accepted it! even after being rejected for every other attempt I made through them. I don't even have a bank account there but I guess once they had my money in their hand they changed their mind.