dtronx

Help with Citi Cards

I hope someone can answer this question better for me than what Citi and the CRA's are telling me.

I have 2 accounts with Citi. Citi says thery both are no preset spending limit but on my statements 1. is supposedly has a 7000 limit and the other has 6000 limit.

The problem that I am having is on all 3 of my CR they are showing a $0 credit limit which then the CRA is telling me that I am using too much of my debt to credit ratio.

Called Citi and they said because it was a no preset spending limit that, that's how they report to the CRA. But then I asked them why do I have a 7000 & 6000 revolving limit?

After talking with Citi, I called the CRA and told them what Citi told me and all they said was they could dispute it but that was it they couldn't change anything.

Has anyone ever had this happen before to them and how can I fix it cause it's killing my debt to credit ratio.

• Like 1

help me to better understand, u are saying that your cc's aren't reporting a credit limit, but showing a high balance in the credit limit line instead? If so i had to dispute the amount of credit line, then it came back and they had changed it! Please help us understand better if this is NOT the case. :)

Citi is pulling a Crap1 and not reporting the limit. AMEX also does this. The way around it is to charge something just under your limit, then PIF a few days laer. This "high balance" then becomes what the CRAs consider your "credit limit".

Yes. This is correct. Your "high balance" is used as a proxy for your credit limit if the limit does not report.

Ironically, this happens to people with good credit more often than those with bad. Citi telling you that you do not have a preset "limit" means more or less that you have signature benefits. The wording gets changed slightly in your credit agreement.

"credit limit" is replaced in your contract by "credit access line". Also, I'm guessing that you probably do not have an "over limit fee" and you probably get cooler perks and better rental and travel insurance, etc.

These are good things for you, except that your access line doesn't report the total limit, and messes up your utilization

Ok thank you. I wish I knew that when i had it up right under the credit limit and paid it before the next statement came in and they reported it. Thanks for the help.

What I didn't mention was that if you speak to someone in their credit department they can [probably] manually override the "high balance" and "force report" the high balance to be pretty much anything they or you want. It's worth a shot, but the customer service # and a "front-line associate" who picks up the phone isn't going to have the ability to do that.

Now that I read your post again... if at one time, you had your high balance legitimately near the limit, they should have reported that. The high balance is not the "high balance reported" but the actual highest balance that you have had on the account. Take your statement's beginning balance and add up the charges until you find the highest balance. Then, tell them on April 14, my balance was $xx.xx, and you guys are reporting $yy.yy. That way, they aren't doing it as a goodwill courtesy, but as a legitimate account servicing request.

So quick question now. In looking at my TU report it only shows my balance not my high balance and on my EQ report is dosen't show my high credit which I think that is that same as TU high balance if I am correct.

EX shows my high balance correctly on both my accounts though.

How can I get this fixed for TU & EQ?

So quick question now. In looking at my TU report it only shows my balance not my high balance and on my EQ report is dosen't show my high credit which I think that is that same as TU high balance if I am correct.

EX shows my high balance correctly on both my accounts though.

How can I get this fixed for TU & EQ?

For the second time now, call the card issuer and have them submit a credit bureau update.

Do NOT dispute any details of the account with the CRA.

Thanks to everyones help and advise I called and wrote a letter to Citibank asking them to report my High Balance to the CRA's. This is a copy of the letter that they sent to me.

Dear dtronx,

Thank you for contacting us.

We do not report the High Credit/High Balance for this account to the credit bureaus; however, the consumer reporting agencies may choose to calculate and list a High Credit/High Balance on their own. Please contact the consumer reporting agencies for any questions you may have.

Sincerely,

R. M. Pick

Manager

???? I contacted the CRA's and they told me I have to contact the Creditors. Contacted the creditors and they say contact the CRA's. What else should I do? All this seems like a catch 20-20.

Thanks to everyones help and advise I called and wrote a letter to Citibank asking them to report my High Balance to the CRA's. This is a copy of the letter that they sent to me.

Dear dtronx,

Thank you for contacting us.

We do not report the High Credit/High Balance for this account to the credit bureaus; however, the consumer reporting agencies may choose to calculate and list a High Credit/High Balance on their own. Please contact the consumer reporting agencies for any questions you may have.

Sincerely,

R. M. Pick

Manager

???? I contacted the CRA's and they told me I have to contact the Creditors. Contacted the creditors and they say contact the CRA's. What else should I do? All this seems like a catch 20-20.

Oh well... If they don't report it across the whole product, there isn't much you can do... they aren't required to report it. It was worth a shot, a CB Update wouldn't have been a hassle for the account manager. But, policies are policies..

Use the card and PIF, use it and PIF... (or just don't use it) otherwise your utilization is wrecked.

The Visa Signature Benefits are probably worth keeping the card open if you ever need to rent a car, or travel abroad...

Thanks for the help. I guess i'll keep the one open and see if they can transfer the other one to a CC that they report the limit on to help me out with at least one of em. Just don't understand why the report the high balance to Experian but not the other 2 CRA's. Oh well.