tmac01

HSBC and their Late Fee tricks !!!!

This is the second time that HSBC has pulled this on me !! When I make my payment online either days or even weeks before the payment is due it has come up one day late and BAM !!!!!!! They hit you with a $39.00 late fee. Today I got my staement in the mail and it had a late payment fee on the due date which was 6/5/008( yes a late payment fee on the due date.....lol...) It showed that I had payed on 06/06/08. I know that I always pay on time online so I called them and the rude CSR said " yeah you made the online payment on 06/02/08 but you made it after 4pm eastern so its late !! Here is the catch !!!! Its gives you the option to choose the button that states " make payment on due date, " which is what I always do or to choose a certain date you want to pay. Now that does not mean that your payment will get paid on that date. I told him "look sir I have never been late in 3 years and I have been an excellent customer, I paid 4 days ahead of time !!" He gave me this whole lecture like I was some little kid and said " okay this one time I will grant a waiver on the fee !! " he was real rude !! The same thing happen to me with my HSBC Roomstore CC as well. Just be careful because even if you go online two weeks before the payment is due and set it to make the payment on the due date does not mean that it will get paid on that date !!!! You could see a $39 late fee :?

When was it taken out of your bank account? It costs you nothing to be a PIA to them by filing online BBB, AG, and FTC!!!

Good question !! I checked and it was taken out of my Bank account on 06/05/2008 the day it was due !!!!! Bastards !!!!!!!!!!

Yikes, I never pay that way. I always pay on the date I even enter anything so it would be the same day. That way I don't ever run into problems like this.

ISIS I sometimes pay on the date but even then the guy said it takes a couple of days to process and if you pay on the day its probably going to be late. I told him that I have paid on the day 98% of the time in 3 years and it was only late this one time and the other time with my Roomstore CC and this was their error. I mean they literaly charged me a late fee on the day it was due. It said Due date: 06/06/2008....Late payment assessed 06/06/2008....That is just too funny !! Man CC Co's are out to get some of us !!!!

I'm not surprised though, they have to try and get their money somewhere. I just saw that the credit industry is now going to write of $1.3 billion in charge offs. Since they are sub-prime, you gotta figure they're gonna start getting sneaky. Bill Me Later used to do that to me, I was surprised when this last time I was never docked when I was a day late. I nearly fell out of my seat. lol

I'm not surprised though, they have to try and get their money somewhere. I just saw that the credit industry is now going to write of $1.3 billion in charge offs. Since they are sub-prime, you gotta figure they're gonna start getting sneaky. Bill Me Later used to do that to me, I was surprised when this last time I was never docked when I was a day late. I nearly fell out of my seat. lol

So they are going to write off CO after they have sold to Junk Debtors ?

Good info...I'm kicking myself for not checking my previous account statements. I usually pay my balances off asap so I don't think I'll see any late fees. But this is a good reminder to not get lazy in checking CC comp.

Thanks!

Good info...I'm kicking myself for not checking my previous account statements. I usually pay my balances off asap so I don't think I'll see any late fees. But this is a good reminder to not get lazy in checking CC comp.

Thanks!

;) No Problem !!

These sub-primes really piss me off with their tactics. *sigh*

The good thing is I'm like you Lovebug and I check my CC websites daily !! Either way it still doesn't guarantee they won't trick you !!!!

So far I am okay, but always pay early. I do notice though that it takes them 3-4 days to take the money after I pay.

z

So far I am okay, but always pay early. I do notice though that it takes them 3-4 days to take the money after I pay.

z

I agree with you Zfire but why do they have the "pay on due date" option if it pays it one day late ? I think that button should disappear when your payment is going to be late but trust me they want you to be late. Add up $39 times the 1,000 of people who are late monthly, thats a lot of money. I paid 4 days early and it was still late !!!!

I agree with you Zfire but why do they have the "pay on due date" option if it pays it one day late ? I think that button should disappear when your payment is going to be late but trust me they want you to be late. Add up $39 times the 1,000 of people who are late monthly, thats a lot of money. I paid 4 days early and it was still late !!!!

You weren't late, you can prove they took the money the day before they charged you late! I'd call screaming and yelling and then probably report them!

I pay HSBC through my bank's online bill pay service. Payments post next day (HSBC even sends me an email to let me know they received the payment). I've never had a problem.

Way back in the day the old satellite tv (Primestar) did that to me too. We would send off the bill on the 1st and it was due on the 15th so we should be good right? Well hubby and I were sitting on the couch watching the tube one night and the satellite went off.

We called and they said they hadn't gotten our payment. Hmmm, maybe it was lost in the mail we thought so we went to bed and figured we would call our bank the next day.

When we got hold of our bank they told us that payment had cleared on the 9th (today is only like the 17th or something, just a couple days after due date).

We called Primestar back and informed them we didn't appreciate them cutting off our tv when the payment had already cleared.

They told us it wasn't their fault because payment went into one service center (in one state) and we were cut off by another service center (in a whole different state) and it takes a while for them to communicate.

We were furious and their answer... well start paying your bill sooner and this won't happen.

We ended up getting rid of them... weren't about to put up with that crap.

You weren't late, you can prove they took the money the day before they charged you late! I'd call screaming and yelling and then probably report them!

Personally, that is the route I'd probably take with all of this. A letter to the higher-ups can do wonders if you include copies of documentation proving that they're full of sh!t. :twisted:

Personally, that is the route I'd probably take with all of this. A letter to the higher-ups can do wonders if you include copies of documentation proving that they're full of sh!t. :twisted:

To me its just that they were rude !!!!! I have my house up for sale and I can't wait to sell it because I am paying off every single CC. Then I can call them and say " please close this acct." when they ask why I am going to give it to them " well lets see....you lowered my CL to the balance whiched killed my CS and you installed late fees when the payment was made online 5-7 days before the due date and then you were rude !!!! See Yah :)++ " As soon as this house sells I will have my day with them !!!! They might not care but I am keeping my loyal CC's and if I can delete my last 2 baddies I can even get a really low interest CC xguitarx

Hmm this is very interesting I need to keep my eye on HSBC ::BigGun:: and sorry that this happened to you :cry:

To me its just that they were rude !!!!! I have my house up for sale and I can't wait to sell it because I am paying off every single CC. Then I can call them and say " please close this acct." when they ask why I am going to give it to them " well lets see....you lowered my CL to the balance whiched killed my CS and you installed late fees when the payment was made online 5-7 days before the due date and then you were rude !!!! See Yah :)++ " As soon as this house sells I will have my day with them !!!! They might not care but I am keeping my loyal CC's and if I can delete my last 2 baddies I can even get a really low interest CC xguitarx

Go get'em tmac! :boxing:

I like the way they also have a weekend day or a holiday as the due date> my next payment is due on 07/04/2008 if i go to pay it on the 3rd it would not apply until the 7th

Is there any wonder that I categorically REFUSE to deal with HSBC ever again ???

I wiped them out of my hair with my BK and they will never get another penny from me !

Is there any wonder that I categorically REFUSE to deal with HSBC ever again ???

I wiped them out of my hair with my BK and they will never get another penny from me !

LNR I know soooo many people just do not like them but for some reason they have always been ggod to me until now !! Also, they jacked up my interest rate on my MC as well ! I can't wait to sell my home and pay them off and make that " I am closing this account please ! " phone call ;)

Just curious...What HSBC card do you have? I have both a Best Buy MC and a Orchard card and when I make payments, it shows me the date that the payment is going to post. I always pay right when the bill posts just cause I am OCD about it..

Overall, I am glad they waived the fee for you..