asweeney29

Law Office of Richard Clark

Hello Again,

I entered into a settlement with the Law Office of Richard Clark. I faxed a letter authorizing them to charge my check card in the amount of $200.00. When checking my account statements I realized that I was charged $250.00 not $200.00. Obviously this is not a legal practice, but where do I go from here?

DO you have a copy of the fax? If so go right to your local police dept. and initiate a theft complaint. Then if they say its a 'civil matter' go over to small claims court and file suit.

Here is what I've done. I called my bank and had them begin an investigation. The bank wants me to call the law office and try and work it out with them. I am sure they are not going to be willing to do a thing for me.

Here is what I've done. I called my bank and had them begin an investigation. The bank wants me to call the law office and try and work it out with them. I am sure they are not going to be willing to do a thing for me.

It is never advisable to give them your credit card number or checking account number for any reason. Always send a money order.

Are they deleting the tradeline for the settlement? Since you may go to court, ask for a deletion of the tradeline as a settlement term.

Keep it up!!!

Who the heck do you bank with! Call the bank again and demand a fraud investigation be opened on that transaction as it was an unauthorized charge! Unless you signed something agreeing for the law firm to "add fees", then I think you're outta luck.

Your bank should handle this as a fraudulent transaction, no different than if you used a Visa or MC credit card - if they are unwilling to do that then I would file a complaint with the BBB and with MC/Visa corporate (whichever applies).

I would also empty this account of all funds TODAY and plan on never using it again; you will either need to close the account or get a new debit card issued with new numbers so that they can't continue to use the card info you gave them.

Given your bank's response so far (trying to pass the buck); I'd change banks in any case.

As was suggested, NEVER, NEVER, NEVER give a CA/JDB or their "attorney" direct access to your accounts...ALWAYS and ONLY use some form of payment that cannot be traced to your account (such as a money order, "temporary" debit card number, WesternUnion, etc).