khartle2

Student Loan Forgiveness

I am currently attending college to become an RN. I've racked up some student loans and I read somewhere that people who get into certain professions can apply to have their federal student loans forgiven. Healthcare was one of these fields...Does anyone know anything about this? What do you need to do in order to be eligible to apply? Any info would be great...In the meantime I'll keep searching the net to see if I can get more details (by the way, if anyone knows of a website I could go to to read up on this that would be great too!) :)

It looks really promising for nursing and health care in general. I'm a mid-life career changer entering a fast-track BSN 2nd degree program, and planning on getting to the Nurse Practitioner level. When I first looked at the options, I began taking pre-med coursework to go to Physician's Assistant schools, but changed my mind last year when I realized how many loan forgiveness, repayment, and tuition assistance programs there were out there for nursing. ( Let me tell you, it would help because I have a total of 80k in undergrad and grad debt!)

I discovered that some will only pay what you borrowed when you were technically admitted into a nursing program (which sucks for me, because they don't admit you without 2 yrs of pre-reqs ), but others don't necessarily have that requirement, especially employers like hospitals and traveling nurse agencies.

I'd advise you to check your state dept. of higher ed or the state student loan folks as well as the links given above for the Federal level forgiveness programs. My state (New Mexico) has loans that it gives in exchange for working for a set number of years in a underserved area (my whole state, basically). It also at the very least will allow you to pay zero interest on loans that aren't forgiven if you become a registered nurse here.

Also, don't forget to look for employment opportunities at the Veteran's Administration, the Bureau of Indian Affairs, Federal prisons, and military associated hospitals where you can work as a Federal Employee. Many of those agencies have their own loan repayment programs.

Good luck to both of us, eh?

Damn, I wish IT personnel in Health Care were eligible for the forgiveness program. :(

I was told about a program by our state and they paid $5000 of my student loans and I'm in IT. Keep looking, something might be out there for you. :please: