lovebug5

BK and IRS Tax Debt?

That is what I thought. :)

I ended up in an argument over this topic this past weekend with a BK attorney who I don't particularly like. I'm telling ya, some of these people are sliiiiiiiimey!!!!

There may be something in the "insolvency" provisions of the IRS code that lets you defer back taxes when you file BK, but I'm pretty sure that's all it is...deffered. I think they get their pound of flesh eventually.

I know that's the case with us. We owed taxes when we did BK 7. They stopped trying to collect when I was unemployed, but as soon as I got a job, they were back at me.

A lot depends on how old the taxes are and whether or not returns were actually filed.

If the tax returns WERE filed, and the taxes have been due for 3 years or more, they very well may be dischargeable.

It also depends what kind of tax. Its not very straightforward.

So, really it is a MAYBE

I believe there is a 10 Year SOL on taxes, my brother was able to use the 10 year SOL recently.

A lot depends on how old the taxes are and whether or not returns were actually filed.

If the tax returns WERE filed, and the taxes have been due for 3 years or more, they very well may be dischargeable.

My brother was told today by a BK attorney that if you filed and they have been due for greater than 2 then you can discharge them. If you never filed them, you are screwed.