maaj

Target credit card information for those with an old account

You may have seen my thread about my fiance being approved for $5000 with the Target Visa. My credit is better then his is so I decided to try.

Sidenote: I had a charged off account at Target over 7 years ago. Neither the OC or CA are listed on my credit report. Last year I applied and got a letter declining due to this old account.

So I replicated his steps. I applied online for the Target and Target Visa card. I got a message saying it was processing I would be notified. I then waitied until the next afternoon and called into the New Credit Department.

I found out a little more how it works: (This may be common knowledge for some, but for me it was not, I do not know all the ins and outs of how all of this works)

I figured they would hit my credit and decide based upon that credit check, well before they run a hit on your credit they run it against another system and they do not even make it to the second stage of credit check if there is an account matching your ss #.

I guess I knew they checked their records, but I thought they would also run my credit as well. I explained that I have been rebuilding my credit and getting it all right this time. I asked her if they would ever extend credit to someone who had a bad account before even if they had improved everything, she told me it would just depend on which system they were using. She said they switch up their system periodically. She was very helpful and very nice.

Does anyone know of any creditor that will reopen credit to someone who had a charged off account that was far enough back in time for it to fall off of your credit report???

Does anyone know of any creditor that will reopen credit to someone who had a charged off account that was far enough back in time for it to fall off of your credit report???

I can't answer you specifically, but I know there are programs such as Macys and AMEX that allow you to open an account if you've burned them ... but it will be opened with your previous balance standing on the account.

Also, I know that after ten years HSBC will consider you. I had a PAID chargeoff on a GM Mastercard about eight years ago. Last year, I asked for a CLI on my Orchard (also an HSBC product) and I was declined despite two years of positive history on that card and an otherwise clean credit report. I was told it was due to the GM card. I asked if I was banned forever, and she said ten years after a c/o or BK. I ended up firing Orchard right after that and a world of credit opened up to me anyway. ;)

There are enough creditors and lenders out there that people shouldn't need to worry about this issue too much. The big issue is being prepared to use the new credit responsibly and not have the same issues happen again. :)

I can't answer you specifically, but I know there are programs such as Macys and AMEX that allow you to open an account if you've burned them ... but it will be opened with your previous balance standing on the account.

Also, I know that after ten years HSBC will consider you. I had a PAID chargeoff on a GM Mastercard about eight years ago. Last year, I asked for a CLI on my Orchard (also an HSBC product) and I was declined despite two years of positive history on that card and an otherwise clean credit report. I was told it was due to the GM card. I asked if I was banned forever, and she said ten years after a c/o or BK. I ended up firing Orchard right after that and a world of credit opened up to me anyway. ;)

There are enough creditors and lenders out there that people shouldn't need to worry about this issue too much. The big issue is being prepared to use the new credit responsibly and not have the same issues happen again. :)

You are right on the mark with your last paragraph. I think the first time I ever said "I wish I would have listened to my parents because they were right" was once my credit was not so good.

I really would just like a visa card. I have Orchard Mastercard and then I have a Pearl Mastercard. Eventually I would like a Mastercard that is better then those 2 and a good Visa.

Also, I know that after ten years HSBC will consider you.

I had a paid HSBC charge off and they gave me a new card in only 3 years. It may depend on if you charge off is paid or not.

Mine was paid too. They gave me a card (orchard), but would not consider me for a CLI or second HSBC product. Sorry - wasn't clear about that.

If you would like a VISA, I know that all bank-issued cards are VISAs. I mean, actual banks and maybe credit unions, too... if you go into the lobby of your own local bank and look through their brochures, they may offer their own VISA.

Can you do that? Do you have a local bank or credit union you do business with?

Sorry, I can't remember your actual situation, but I think your own bank or credit union might be a good place to start.