D. Scott Carruthers Law "Collections"

sugarboobles

Anyone ever dealt with "D. Scott Carruthers", Attorney at Law, in Stanton, CA (800) 945-8682 (Southern California)?

I owe for a closed checking account (US Bank), around $900, and their "person" has been calling me at work for months, almost daily, along with my co-workers sometimes, a couple calls to my parents' home, and daily voice messages on my home phone.

They never send me anything. Just harass via the phone. I refuse to speak to these people while I'm at work (everyone can hear). I just hang up on her or turn my phone off. They have my address, they know where I am...

They finally sent me a formal letter signed by the attorney himself (oooohh).

Attached was an original, UNFILED, Summons & Complaint. He offered a couple of deals (pay now, or make payments) or he would file the judgment.

I realize I owe the $$ but the original creditor was US Bank. Carruthers is a third party.

Before I just agree to payment options, should I request his office send me a copy of the "contract" binding me to the financial obligation specifying I should send $$ to THEM. I can't even find this law office on google!!

Don't know them from Adam. I'm not going to pay some ghost law office almost $1000 unless it's legit.

Should I ask for documentation or agree to the payments and assume he is serious about filing the S&C?

I do not want a Judgment on my credit.

Has anyone ever worked with this "attorney" or this "office?"

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In my always humble opinion, any legitimate attorney would never use the tactics you describe; that alone sends up my red flags and alarm bells and tells me that you are dealing with a CA/thug who may or may not have an "attorney" somewhere in the mix.

I would never be afraid of a thug.

I would start the DV process immediately (hopefully it will still be timely)and if they check out, then and only then should you consider paying this third party.

I understand that you don't want a judgment on against you and you do need to be aware that if this "attorney" is legitimate, they may sue you but if they do and if your family and/or co-workers are willing to testify to the tactics you describe then I'd say you have the makings of a decent lawsuit against them for willful and persistent FDCPA violations.

You need information...you need to properly vet this third-party before you pay them a penny...I encourage you to no short-circuit the process out of fear and if you have the means to pay, then I'd contact the OC and, if they still own the debt, try to make arrangements directly with them and cut these jokers off at the knees.

• 2 months later...

Hi I received a call from "Law office of Scott Carruthers" today. First a girl spoke with us and said we owed a few thousands on a bank account that had negative balance almost a decade ago. And that we need to pay this amount.

When we asked her if her office was a debt collection agency, she said NO. She said they were a law office. Which seems like it was a false statement according to this site: http://www.stop-bad-debt-collectors.com/stop-collectors-calls-your-rights.html

Googling Scott Carruthers did turn up the following information:

http://www.manta.com/coms2/dnbcompany_gdgxt2

When we disputed this amount since we don't see it on our credit report, she started getting irritated and handed it over to her "supervisor". The supervisor seemed irritated right away. So we asked him to mail us a letter with all the details of this account, amount, etc. on their letter-head. He refused saying he did not want to spend 42 cents mailing a letter. And he in turn asked us for a fax number where he could fax us a letter. We don't have a fax. So I persisted with request him to mail the letter.

Googling I came across your post. What was the result of your case?

Hi I received a call from "Law office of Scott Carruthers" today. First a girl spoke with us and said we owed a few thousands on a bank account that had negative balance almost a decade ago. And that we need to pay this amount.

When we asked her if her office was a debt collection agency, she said NO. She said they were a law office. Which seems like it was a false statement according to this site: http://www.stop-bad-debt-collectors.com/stop-collectors-calls-your-rights.html

Googling Scott Carruthers did turn up the following information:

http://www.manta.com/coms2/dnbcompany_gdgxt2

When we disputed this amount since we don't see it on our credit report, she started getting irritated and handed it over to her "supervisor". The supervisor seemed irritated right away. So we asked him to mail us a letter with all the details of this account, amount, etc. on their letter-head. He refused saying he did not want to spend 42 cents mailing a letter. And he in turn asked us for a fax number where he could fax us a letter. We don't have a fax. So I persisted with request him to mail the letter.

Googling I came across your post. What was the result of your case?

Almost a decade ago? Almost certainly past the SOL, so a FOAD is probably in order.

• 3 weeks later...

My wife received a letter today saying she owed a little over $2000 for an old bank account she had in Wasington state from D. Scott Carruthers Law "Collections" they had all her personal information to include her s.s.# which they gave her the whole # over the phone with no way of verifying if it was really her. (which I believe has to be very illegal) they said she had bounce Checks in 2002 for around $500 on an acount which she doesnt even remember. So she ask the to fax all the information to our in home office but at that point they became very rude and told her she'll see it in court after she gets summon back to the state where she wrote these checks. Anyway after she got off the phone she called U.S. Bank and they told her they didnt have any record of her but something that old they would have to look up in the archieves on wendsday. they were very helpful. We called lifelock toningt to prevent idenity theft as recommened by many people to include the bank. The worst thing about all of this is that about 4 weeks ago this charge was reports on my wife credit report for no reason we had no idea what it was we mail letters to the company reporting this debt only to be returned to us undeliverable. how were they able to do this. If you have answers please let me know. Please limit your jargons because Iam new to this site and dont completly understand them all. Last of all the company says its in Colorado but the letters posted out of Las Vegas.

Thank You for your time and patience with my spelling and grammar

• 2 weeks later...

I just started receiving phone calls from this guy Jason at Scott Carruther's Law Offices. I have no idea who he is but he is so volatile from the get go that I pretend it isn't me on the phone. He told me that "she should have received our letter by now, don't make me start calling her at work!" Does anyone else know anything about this office? Creepy when they are so hostile from the very start. I really don't know what it could be about either.... lol.

I did a search and D. Scott Carruthers & Associates they don't seemed to be licensed in Colorado,Nevada or Missouri.

The only place he is licensed to practice is in California. So far from what I found. I checked with www.lawyers.com and also with www.martindale.com

Check the post mark city and state on your letters, the address and suite number on the return address and also the address and suite number on the letter most likely they will not match.

The numbers for them, was answered by them, and both 866 numbers answered "Law offices" Neither number said D. Scott Carruthers & Associates.

They just sent me something as well.

Dont' have time for all the details, but also a US Bank account....they say OC was "United credit" for a US Bank account overdraft? lol

I'll post more when i have more time :p

ETA: If it's on your CR, a dispute should pop them off. I just disputed and they're gone now (from EX nonetheless). They wer on as a different company, btw.

Since your letter says "United Credit" check your letter for a Las Vegas,NV. post mark.

That post mark should not match the return address on the envelope, and also the letter inside should be different suite that what is outside the envelope.

United Credit according to the SOS in Nevada shows three results.Which are either revoked or dissolved. I think the one that could be "United Credit" has show up on there as United Credit Systems.

https://esos.state.nv.us/SOSServices/AnonymousAccess/CorpSearch/CorpSearch.aspx

Recording their calls is a good one!:D

I'm so happy i found this site.

I just received 3 letters, all on the same day, all the same, Las Vegas post mark, Denver return address. As far as i can tell this is a complete fishing expedition. I have absolutely no idea what they are talking about. It References United Credit as the plaintiff and "Bob's Flooring" as the defendant. I don't know any Bob's Flooring.

Should i even bother to call these people? or just sit tight? No phone calls have been received. And i in no way owe these people $.

I just got a letter telling me that I owe over $500 on an old USBank account. I went in to try and get a copy of the transaction history, which they couldn't do even though the recoveries department said that they could. Las Vegas postmark, Denver return address. I called the "law office" a second time, and they told me that I got the wrong state. I think that call landed in Cali. Are there any other resources I can check to find out what the flock is going on?

The letter you got probably has suite # on the outside of the envelope and suite # on the letter itself.

Send them a debt validation letter to both suite numbers and or all addresses you have for them. Make sure it is sent certified mail! You can check with your SOS to see if they are licensed to collect in your state. It looks like the collection agency United isn't even licensed to collect in Nevada where the letters seem to be sent from.And the attorney can only practice law in California. Apparently he is from Stanton.

Catch them on violations also. Record your calls too, if you talk to them.

So I got a phone call from this guy's office about 2 months ago regarding a debt with US Bank. They told me the total was for $581.40 and, just like a lot of you, I was pretty confused about the whole situation. They didn't have an account number for me, nor did they provide me a reference number. They took down my info and charged me automatically on the date that I told them the funds would be available on my card. I called them several times after the money had been deducted leaving messages that were never responded to. Time passed I figured everything was probably okay as long as I had the transaction documented in my account summary (along with a still-active phone number.) Then about 1 week ago I received a letter from CBNA requesting the full payment of $531.77 to clear up the debt with US Bank. (This is about 3 days after requesting a credit report.) Apparently, aside from charging me an extra $50 to 'build their case', these people did not report my payment to the Credit Bureau of North America. Though this is a relatively easy thing to prove, the people at CBNA said at least 30% of the reports they receive from his office (or the company in cahoots with his office) are inaccurate. As for me, I wrote a letter to the company that manages my pre-paid debit account and told them I would like to dispute the transaction (which they will do free of charge) so I could get my $50 back for the bunk 'services' they did not provide and pay the actual collector. I hope that helps give you guys a little bit more insight on where this guy stands. Though he was recognized by a legitimate agency it appears his scam appears as strong-arming people with threats to collect an extra $50. Though I wonder.. Since my balance was not documented as paid in full (or paid at all) and was sent to another collection agency... I'm curious to know whether or not they were full of empty threats.

• 7 months later...

hi i just got a letter from D Scott Carruthers today saying i owed $$ on a us bank account form years ago and that i defaulted on my payment and that they full payment in 14 days or there forwarding it to the courts where i live so i called them to see what they would say.so i listened to what they had to say and they had old records that were not upto date with the payments i was makeing to the bank then they told me i had to pay and wanted in full so i told them i didnt have the money and then they told me they wont make payment arrangements i either pay or theyll take me to court and garnage my wages and anything else they can get there gruby hands on so then i told them what do think i have an atm i my a$$ along with the bank i cant pull that kind of money out of my a$$ so then they offerd me an out of court settlement but i only had a couple hours .the i was told that if the attorney asked for the file then the out of court settlement was no longer in affect the deal is off

so i told them i had to make some calls and that i would call them back then ealier they called me and left me a message and it wasnt very nice so anyway there is something very fishy going on so i have contacted a lawyer and im awaiting his advice as to what i should do and what are my legal writes i think you should do the same and dont let them scare you or try to at all there not really a lawyers i googled them and i cant find anything and what lawyer sends out paperwork with out proof you received it or just send you a summons ranther than a cheesy letter there not nice people there asses i dont trust them at all be careful consult an attorney and dont give them any information bank or home anything at all

Edited by crazygirl14
missed some information

im reading everyones story and we all have something in common US Bank owing them money how strange ha why hasnt US BANK sent us letters or there attorneys called us they have a legal dept anyway the other common thing is that my letter and enveloope show the same address and suite and there from ca but the post mark is from lasvegas how funnny more like scam!! im my book im waiting for my lawyers reply before i send them money

• 1 month later...

I have reported these guys to the Postal Inspectors, my local news stations and the police.

They claim to have bought debt from Sprint, I called Sprint and Sprint doe NOT sell their debt!!!! BE AWARE!!!!!!!!! DO NOT PAY THEM FOR YOUR SPRINT BILL!! They tried collecting on my deceased husbands account! How low do you have to be to do that???? These guys are not legal debt collectors!