WaMu actually screwed up

scorch

So I've been banking with Washington Mutual for about two years. Just recently I deposited a check and $20 cash at an ATM. Well after looking at my recent transactions online, I saw that the amount of my deposited paycheck was deducted from my account as a "KEY IN ERROR". Meaning I keyed in the wrong amount at the ATM. So obviously it looks as though WaMu lost my paycheck.

Now WaMu is a good bank. They are typically friendly so I hope they find the check and reverse the overdraft charges against me.

I know that everyone screws up, I'm just concerned about looking like a douche bag because I can't pay my rent due to insufficient funds.

I think you should charge them a fee. 39.00 is standard when you screw up.

You're saying I should charge WaMu for losing my pay check?? I'm sure I had it in the atm deposit envelope, unless I forgot to sign it or dropped it somewhere or accidentally threw it away...

So How would I go about charging WaMu the 39 dollars?

I don't think Puck was being serious. It sounds like you are not really sure if you actually put your check in the envelope. In any case, contact the bank to see if you can get this worked out. Finding the money is more important than getting back at WaMu.

Oh I'm sure I had it in the envelope... I just can't believe it got lost in the atm..

A good bank? WaMu? Um, okay. I wouldn't put one penny in the care of WaMu. But I generally despise all banks, so maybe I'm not the best person to comment. WaMu can't even manage its own finances. What makes you think they will take any better care of your money?

when you make a check deposit at an ATM, you are "signing/indorsing" the check with the 4-digit PIN. This is regardless of how the check was actually endorsed, or whether ownership of the check was transferred, etc.

Therefore, to deposit a check through an ATM, the check has to be:

A. Endorsed by the same person as whose name is on the card

B. Made payable to the same person in (A).

If you were to have used your wife's ATM card to have made the deposit, (or your "partner's", or your mother's or father's or any other joint signer's).... then the check part of the deposit would be reversed. Typically, this wouldn't be coded as a "key in error", but would be coded as an "ATM ADJ Debit"....

Either way, most banks will send you a letter in the mail with a copy of the check, stating the reason(s) why the check was not payable...

Hopefully, that sheds light on it. Of course, it's entirely possible that ATM Operations lost the check. There are a lot of checks and balances for that to actually happen. And, if that is the case, I don't know what kind of recourse you have...

I generally prefer electronic deposits, wire, ACH, etc... one, where you can track it with a file transmission total; if that is not possible, then "remote capture" systems are cool, if not pricey; other than that, I prefer in-person teller deposits.

Use the ATM for cash withdrawals only, as doing so will simplify your life.

I generally prefer electronic deposits, wire, ACH, etc... one, where you can track it with a file transmission total; if that is not possible, then "remote capture" systems are cool, if not pricey; other than that, I prefer in-person teller deposits.

Use the ATM for cash withdrawals only, as doing so will simplify your life.

That's for sure! Why take a chance with your deposit!:confused:

When I was in college, I had a business professor dogmatically state that banks rarely make any errors at all because computers made everything automated...

Years later when I worked at an operations center of a major bank, my area was the "exceptions" department that monitored screw ups. I was shocked by the kind of colossal screw ups that continuously happened.

So yes, I wouldn't put it past a bank to make a mistake because it happens all to frequently...