marisakay

please help FRAUD..next step needed??

last yr I received a "late bill" from Alltell syaing I was late on a bill that was 2 yrs old..and owed 581....it had an old address on it that I have never lived ???

so I called alltell right away and they said they have been sending notices to that address..I said I never lived there and always live here and I have NEVER had a cell phone yet alone alltell!!! she said it shows I opened an account for over a yr paying on time...then just stopped!!

they put fraud on my account..I called credit reports and did the same thing....I disputed w the credit reports and they were allr emoved....

now months later I get a collection noticefrom CBCS columbus ohio..saying they now have that account....???

So i immediately sent letter asking valdiation (knwoing they would not have since not mine)....I demanded copy of license and signature..what do they send me?? a copy of the last bill??? that shows my name with this address I never lived at?? what is my next step???

please help....

You need to file a fraud affidavit with Alltel, and perhaps a police report. And tell Alltel they need to pull this back from CBCS. They should do it for you, but if they don't - send the stuff to CBCS yourself. Also, keep in mind that Alltel still owns this account. CBCS is a CA, not a debt buyer.

I don't quite understand why you are asking pretty much the exact same question you asked just a couple of weeks ago for which you've essentially been given this same advice here: (http://www.debt-consolidation-credit-repair-service.com/forums/showthread.php?t=256975)

If this isn't your account and someone used your personal information to obtain a cell phone then you need to take the proper steps to report it and to protect your credit history; sending DV letters and the like aren't going to solve this problem.

I don't quite understand why you are asking pretty much the exact same question you asked just a couple of weeks ago for which you've essentially been given this same advice here: (http://www.debt-consolidation-credit-repair-service.com/forums/showthread.php?t=256975)

If this isn't your account and someone used your personal information to obtain a cell phone then you need to take the proper steps to report it and to protect your credit history; sending DV letters and the like aren't going to solve this problem.

Actually...that was a couple of YEARS ago (not weeks)! Interesting find, Robert!

OP, what's going on? - file the necessary paperwork and move on.

Guys I think OP means she had it all sorted out last year, and the big 3 removed the account from her files. Then recently, she received a bill for the same thing from another CA. Like it was sold to another CA.

I had to read it a few times to gather that info though....:lol:

Is this correct OP?

Deanna, you could be right.

But the advice remains the same, and if it had been followed back in 06 when the problem was first discovered, the OP wouldn't still be dealing with this (most likely).

Also, again, to the best of my knowledge (and I've had a lot of dealings w/ CBCS over medial bills), CBCS is a CA. It most likely does not own this debt. It is collecting it either for Alltel or the JDB that bought it from Alltel.

Agreed. :) I just went back and read her 1st post back from 2006. It's a different CA. Sucks for you OP. I would just send all the ID theft paperwork that you have kept, (hopefully), from 06 and send it to the new CA, with a C&D letter.

Was the CA that sold the fraudulent account breaking any laws or doing anything legally wrong? Can they sell a debt that they know is not legit? That just seems like really bad business to me.

I don't have a motive with this question, I'm just curious. :cool:

Was the CA that sold the fraudulent account breaking any laws or doing anything legally wrong? Can they sell a debt that they know is not legit? That just seems like really bad business to me.

I don't have a motive with this question, I'm just curious. :cool:

I doubt it and certainly not if the OP didn't take the steps necessary to report the ID Theft "back then" (which is what I believe happened).