JustaTexan

Uniform blues.......

I know from when I was a kid, those kids that had to repeat only did it once, they didn't want to be left behind again -- they worked and moved on to the next grade. If they REALLY worked, they could catch up with his/her peers.

All we're teaching these kids is that it's ok to be lazy, that everything will be handed to them on a silver platter -- so why work ??? Then they figure they don't have to work as adults.. so WE pay for them to sit on their butts and collect welfare !!!!

That is a win-win situation for everybody: parents, politicians, local community activists, etc. They all love it!

Kids can take math and science for boneheads. Many teachers are now forced not to give homework anymore because kids won't do it. Lots of schools have done away with the grade of zero so turning nothing in or skipping a test is now worth 50 points (too bad the workplace isn't like that). And whenever they flunk out of a test or assignment, they can retake it again and again (again, too bad the workplace isn't like that) until they pass it.

And even if they flunk out as seniors, they can still walk across the stage at graduation. That happened at the high school my sister teaches at. She wondered if those flunkies got a parchment paper with a smilely face on it because it certainly wasn't a diploma.

But at least a lot of people feel good that these kids accomplished something (or almost something when they walked across the stage for graduation).

I agree with the both of you. Now you see why I am having major second thoughts about teaching. It's just too much these days.

I agree with the both of you. Now you see why I am having major second thoughts about teaching. It's just too much these days.

The way my sister sees it is that there is no way to change the agendas of the poverty warriors, community activists, politicians, etc. And definitely not the kids who don't give a flying [EXPLETIVE DELETED] about learning anything.

But the biggest reward she enjoys the most is helping the kids that she can help. Every year she always has such fascinating stories about it...

My sister got her teaching certificate and went straight on to get her masters. She entered the classroom with a masters degree and quit after 2 years. She said she has never been so disillusioned by anything in her whole life. She hated it. Never went back.

As for uniforms.... our district sent out a poll last year asking parents opinions. The district wanted to go to uniforms this year. Well, I pitched a royal fit. I have 4 in school that I would have to buy for (among other reasons). Anyway, I must not have been the only one who didnt like the idea because we didnt go to uniforms. Whew! I feel your pain.

My sister got her teaching certificate and went straight on to get her masters. She entered the classroom with a masters degree and quit after 2 years. She said she has never been so disillusioned by anything in her whole life. She hated it. Never went back.

As for uniforms.... our district sent out a poll last year asking parents opinions. The district wanted to go to uniforms this year. Well, I pitched a royal fit. I have 4 in school that I would have to buy for (among other reasons). Anyway, I must not have been the only one who didnt like the idea because we didnt go to uniforms. Whew! I feel your pain.

Good for you Teena! You know with 4 kids you probably would have had to drop a grand before school even started. :shock: Crazy!!!!

Why did your sister hate teaching so much? The kids or all the politics?

You can always switch to psychology and help out your new annoying pal.

Yeah I could but then I would have to charge you.......and you so can't afford me. :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

well, my daughter went back to school with a brief selection of things from the huge list the school sent me.

I (for the first time) got a list from special ed teachers for their classes. My guess was pretty close. Only needed to add one more small binder.

Why on earth can't the special ed department send out a list for their students before school starts?

I guess they are just lazy.

Good for you Teena! You know with 4 kids you probably would have had to drop a grand before school even started. :shock: Crazy!!!!

Why did your sister hate teaching so much? The kids or all the politics?

Hated not being able to TEACH because of all of the POLITICS.

Yeah I could but then I would have to charge you.......and you so can't afford me. :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

I only have a $15 dollar co-pay :)