legal to give out ss# ?

Not sure if this can be answered here but thought I would give it a try. MY son and his friend was arrested. Friend mom went to get copy of police report. They refused but for some reason gave them all of my wifes information including her social security number, dob, dl#, address, home phone number and copy of DL. IS it legal to give out her ss# ?

I wonder the same thing, swirlgirl.

Was your wife's info. on the police report? If so, why? My thought is perhaps she bonded your son out of jail and that's why her information was part of his record. But I would not think that the actual bond agreement is public record and I don't think her personal info. would go on the police report. But I'm guessing as to your situation here. More details please.

Police almost always ask for ss#. You do not have to give it to them. When you give them your ss# it is included on reports and complaints. When a minor is involved they may ask the parent for a ss#. The mother should have been advised that it wasn't necessary.

Police almost always ask for ss#. You do not have to give it to them. When you give them your ss# it is included on reports and complaints. When a minor is involved they may ask the parent for a ss#. The mother should have been advised that it wasn't necessary.

Not only is it unnecessary, but there is a Federal law regarding this:

The Privacy Act of 1974 clearly "regulates" the use of social security numbers by federal, state, and local government agencies. Section 7 of the Act states:

''(a)(1) It shall be unlawful for any Federal, State or local government agency to deny to any individual any right, benefit, or privilege provided by law because of such individual's refusal to disclose his social security account number." and,

''(B) Any Federal, State, or local government agency which requests an individual to disclose his social security account number shall inform that individual whether that disclosure is mandatory or voluntary, by what statutory or other authority such number is solicited, and what uses will be made of it.''

• Like 1

No the sons friend is not my wife. He never went to jail we just went to pick him up from the police station. He is a minor so they asked my wife her name and pulled up her drivers liscence through the computer and said he can get the rest off of that. Fl dl doesn't have ss#'s on them. I dont remeber remember if he asked for her ss# to be honest.

Anyway the other kids parents went to the police department to get a copy of the police report. THey refused that request but told them they could give them my wifes information so they can contact us about what was going on. THey gave her a print out of her DL which of course has her address, dob ect. Then for some reason they also gave her another paper with her social security number on it and home and work number. This was all seperate from the police report as they refused to give that to them. I am not excusing what my son did I'm just wanted to know if what they did was legal? THis person could easily have commited identify theft with this info,which I know they wont just the idea of it.

Do you live in a small town? All of this is highly unusual. I would think that a parent would be able to get a copy of their minor child's police report. And if they could not give it to her, then they should have left it there. After all, the other boy's mother could have just asked her son for his friend's information.

When you put all the details out there, it's starting to sound like they didn't follow some sort of procedure. What they did was hand over vital personal information to a stranger. I'm not one of those "go out and sue" people, but I would run this by an attorney.

Not only is it unnecessary, but there is a Federal law regarding this:

The Privacy Act of 1974 clearly "regulates" the use of social security numbers by federal, state, and local government agencies. Section 7 of the Act states:

''(a)(1) It shall be unlawful for any Federal, State or local government agency to deny to any individual any right, benefit, or privilege provided by law because of such individual's refusal to disclose his social security account number." and,

''(B) Any Federal, State, or local government agency which requests an individual to disclose his social security account number shall inform that individual whether that disclosure is mandatory or voluntary, by what statutory or other authority such number is solicited, and what uses will be made of it.''

Interesting....The Oregon DMV recently started "requiring" SSN's for DL's. Wouldn't this regulation make this practace illegal?

Here is what the DMV website says:

You are required to provide proof of your Social Security Number (SSN) or proof of your ineligibility for one. DMV verifies numbers with the Social Security Administration (SSA). If your SSN fails the verification process, you will have to resolve the issue with the Social Security Administration (SSA) before DMV will be able to issue, renew or replace your card or permit.

Acceptable proof of a Social Security Number includes:

A Social Security Card or other SSA documentation, which may be laminated (metal souvenir cards and photocopies are not acceptable);

A copy of a state or federal tax document;

An employment record containing the SSN;

A military document containing the SSN;

A document from the Social Security Administration validating the SSN, such as a benefits letter;

An out-of-state driver license, permit or ID card containing the SSN;

Tribal ID Card containing the SSN;

Medical Benefits Card containing the SSN; or

Any acceptable document submitted as proof of legal presence/identity or residence address containing the SSN.

Acceptable proof of ineligibility for a Social Security Number include:

A document issued by the Social Security Administration;

A document issued by a Federal agency or Federal court which demonstrates the customer is ineligible for an SSN;

An I-94, CBP I-94, CBP I-94A without the stamp noting “Employment Authorized”; or

IRS Individual Tax Identification Number (ITIN).

Why is DMV collecting SSNs?

The Federal Welfare Reform Act includes the requirement that each state collect the Social Security Numbers of all drivers to assist in the enforcement of child support laws.

Anyone who has been issued an SSN by the Social Security Administration will be required to provide it to DMV (OAR 735-062-0005). DMV will not issue, renew, or replace a driver permit, driver license or identification card unless you provide proof of your SSN. Customers who are not eligible for an SSN will be required to provide proof that they are not eligible. Customers who refuse to provide proof of, disclose their SSN, have never been issued an SSN, or refuse to provide proof that they are not eligible for an SSN will not be issued an Oregon driving privilege or identification card.

DMV will verify numbers with the Social Security Administration (SSA). If the SSN does not match the SSA record, the customer will be required to resolve the issue prior to DMV issuing, renewing or replacing a driver license, driver permit or identification card.

Federal regulations require that applicants for a commercial driver license (CDL) or CDL instruction permit have a verifiable SSN, no exceptions.

What if I don't have a SSN?

If you have never been issued a number by the Social Security Administration (SSA) and are eligible for an SSN, you will be required to obtain a SSN from the SSA before DMV will issue an Oregon driving privilege or identification card.

If you are not eligible for a SSN, you must provide proof that you are ineligible and sign a statement of non-eligibility certifying that you are in fact ineligible.

Who will see my SSN?

DMV takes the responsibility to safeguard personal information very seriously. DMV employees receive training on how to safeguard records and are required to follow state and federal privacy laws. Your SSN will not be displayed on your driver license, driver permit or identification card, or released on DMV records. Access to your SSN is allowed only to qualified government agencies.

Interesting....The Oregon DMV recently started "requiring" SSN's for DL's. Wouldn't this regulation make this practace illegal?

Nope. According to what you posted they are within the law. They are disclosing what law they are using to require disclosure, The Federal Welfare Reform Act. They are also listing how they will be using it. So they are good.

However, the police-person that demands it but doesn't say under what law they have authority to do so and does not indicate how it will be used IS violating the law and subject to felony charges.

Nope. According to what you posted they are within the law. They are disclosing what law they are using to require disclosure, The Federal Welfare Reform Act. They are also listing how they will be using it. So they are good.

However, the police-person that demands it but doesn't say under what law they have authority to do so and does not indicate how it will be used IS violating the law and subject to felony charges.

Cool, thanks for the info.

If you are the minors guardian you have full rights to have a copy of the police report. I do part time bail bonds and I can get police records and arrest records.

You can always petition the court for those records if the cops want to do it the hard way.

Did you also know that in most states if you are arrested and no criminal charges are brought against you, you have the right to petition the courts to expunge a criminal and arrest record.

Indiana law

IC 35-38-5

Chapter 5. Expungement of Arrest Records

IC 35-38-5-1

Petition; grounds; verification; filing; contents; service; notice of opposition; hearing

Sec. 1. (a) Whenever:

(1) an individual is arrested but no criminal charges are filed against the individual; or

(2) all criminal charges filed against an individual are dropped because:

(A) of a mistaken identity;

(B) no offense was in fact committed; or

© there was an absence of probable cause;

the individual may petition the court for expungement of the records related to the arrest.

(B) A petition for expungement of records must be verified and filed in the court in which the charges were filed, or if no criminal charges were filed, in a court with criminal jurisdiction in the county where the arrest occurred.

Anyone can ASK for your SS#- they just can't demand it without legit reason- I'm sure when a person is arrested he signs a block on the arrest card or arrest report stating that he VOLUNTARILY gave his SS#. As far as releasing confidential information from a drivers record- that is a problem!