What is wrong with my employer?

scorch

So I've been working for this company a good 2 years with foreigners even. I had a second job, but quit to start working at my current job full time so I can possibly move up. My boss thought it would work. Now I have just heard today that my boss's boss (whom I have never met) has denied me the promotion A MONTH ago! I've been asking about the promotion and my boss just beats around the bush whilst saying I'm a "good guy" and that jazz. The manager who told me this information said there was not much of a reason given, but she had an opinion.

I was also told that someone else was denied a promotion because "he is stupid".

Why mention "foreigners?"

OK well that can be a touchy subject. (almost personal) I guess I got caught up in the heat of the moment. I started a similar topic about that on another forum and it got deleted so I'd rather not get into it.

Besides that, I'm just a little upset by the principal of what happened here.

I was also told that someone else was denied a promotion because "he is stupid".

I mean come on.

This might be a somewhat obvious question to ask, but have you taken the time to setup a meeting with your boss's boss?

Well my boss has kept saying to wait for him to be available. Yes I have been trying to set up a meeting with him. My boss doesn't seem to want me to get a hold of him myself. ie: phone, e mail etc.

Well, I think you've seen the handwriting on the wall: broken promises, an immediate supervisor who makes promises he might not even have the authority to keep (and who lacks the ability to be honest/straightforward with you), and a member of upper management making himself inaccessible. These things happen, and I think your best course of action would be to start looking for a new job, where advancement might be more of a realistic option for you. Many management decisions are not personal, despite how personal they feel. And you sort of have to make yourself #1 and start looking.

Thanks for the advice. Considering that he doesn't even know me, I thought it was a queer and uninformed decision.

What about this type of talk? I know you're probably more than right about finding another job, but I sometimes think some people need help.

What about this type of talk? I know you're probably more than right about finding another job, but I sometimes think some people need help.

Well, it's total hearsay, and if true, it's up to the person who was referred to as "stupid" to deal with. I find it hard to believe that in a professional environment, the "boss" actually said that to the person's face who was up for promotion, but I've heard crazier things in years of business/management consulting.

However, let's assume it's true -- I'd say it's time to consider the source of such comments and ask yourself if you really want to be working in such a toxic environment!

If you never met your boss's boss then maybe it is actually because of your boss that you did not get promoted. The big boss may only know your work ethics from what he hears since he is not seeing it firsthand. So maybe you are bashing the wrong person.

I do not recall bashing anyone. In fact, the person who told me I did not get promoted, who also said my co-worker / teammate is stupid, was more than likely lying. Which is what she did according to my boss. Why would someone do that? In order to block someone for no particular reason and because their mentality is the bollocks.

I will confront my boss's boss personally and get some answers. It had recently occurred to me that I can write a letter. I had told my co-worker what was said about him and one can safely assume that this problem WILL be solved.

Also this person who is saying bad things is also a bad adviser to get opinions about who could be good managers. I don't think she is a good person for that because she doesn't seem to like anyone to begin with. I can tell because no one likes her.