Collection Agency posting twice on credit report

brooke079

I have an account in collections that then turned into a judgement. On Experian they have it listed in collections and judgements. I disputed Experian and the actual collection agency and I got back verifications. The fact that it's reported twice was just ignored. What do I do now? If I agree to make payments on the judgement is it possible they may remove it from my credit report?

It's listed twice because a public record (the judgment) and the collection account are two separate things. And I wouldn't hold your breath about them removing anything from your CR if you offer to pay a judgment. A court has already declared that you legally owe them money and they can garnish wages and seize bank accounts to get it. You don't really have any cards left to play.

If you satisfy the judgment that might (*might*) be a way to get it vacated and removed from your CR. Or you can try to negotiate a voluntary dismissal by the plaintiff which would result in the same thing. But I'm not really familiar with how judgments work in Michigan and you'd likely need the help of an attorney (esp. if you plan to try to negotiate with another lawyer).

What he said.

The account didn't just 'turn into' a judgment. The creditor took you to court and was awarded a judgment. Having both listed is accurate reporting. The TL may appear for 7 years plus 180 days from the DOFD. The judgment may appear, in the Public Records section of your CR, for 7 years from date of entry. Reference the FCRA 1681c, Subsection 605 for clarification.

Your best recourse may be to negotiate payment in exchange for an Order to Vacate Judgment. If the creditor refuses, you still need to resolve the legal item. Once paid, you'll need to obtain a Satisfaction of Judgment. Don't expect or count on them doing it, they only want the money you owe. Get your Satisfaction and make sure it's recorded in Public Records at the same court location as the original judgment. Keep Certified Copies in case you need to show proof of it's resolution in the future. Judgments can be valid for many years.