Judgement and SOL

Crash

Hi folks, I wish I had found this forum a long time ago. I have a credit card debt of $2300 which has been taken on by a local law firm. I already signed the ""Consent for judgement" form acknowledging that it is my debt. I had full intentions of making monthly payments, and in fact mailed my first payment in. They said they never got it, so I said screw it and neverdid anything until a sheriff shows up for the second time, this time saying in 20 days he will start confiscating property to sell to pay off the debt, which now is $2900 with their lawyer fees tacked on. This was this past Sat. Today I called the law firm and, since I cashed in on an old 401K, offered them $1800 to settle. They wouldn't take it. They said they want the whole amount.

My question is: Is it too late to find out if the debt is past the satute of limitations, and say I ain't paying nothing, if it is? or am I screwed? I actually do believe my last payment to this credit company was more than 4 years ago, which covers the 3yrs+ 6 months SOL in NC. TIA

Thanks for that advice. The guy from the attorneys office said "all legal actions will be halted as long as payments are made on time.". I offered to pay $1800 up front and the rest by monthly payments. Besides asking for this agreement in writing is there anything else I should ask for/demand. This is my first time through this ordeal, I am playing catchup at the present time and trying to learn by reading posts in this forum. Thanks for your help.

Also, what if I put everything in the exemptions. Isn't it a great way for them to find out what they can sell?