wvumurray

Target Redcard Upgrade to Visa info

Target hates me. That's the only way to explain the fact that they refuse to move me past the very basic $200 red card I've had for almost a year now.

I tried carrying a balance. I tried paying in full. I tried just not using the card. Nothing. I don't even want the extra credit anymore, now that I qualified for a mortgage (which is funny in and of itself, that someone will give me $120,000 to buy a house, but Target won't trust me with more than $200), it's just the principle of it at this point!

Im almost to 2 yrs on my card and its stuck at the $500 point. I wrote a letter and got a "reply for the Visa card" if you want. I did, and ended up with another $200 Target card. Called in and closed the $200 one, but nothing since with my other card.

Opened my November statement to find that my Redcard limit has been raised to $1,000 from the $200 I've had since March of 2008.

I'm not actively monitoring my credit score at this point, so I don't know if anything significant changed, but my spending habit on the card itself hadn't changed.

Still no visa, but I'm not actively seeking new credit (or even using what I have other than here and there to keep it open), so it's no biggie.

I got a $500 -> $1000 CLI this week, too!

Me too -- looks like a few people are getting the $500 to $1000 bump.

Latest news I received from Target: REDcard rate jack from 22.99% to 25.24%, effective 1/27/2010.

And to think this card was at 19.99% a year ago...

Target announced today that their credit card default rate has risen to over 15% as of last month. I wouldn't be shocked if they bumped up all customers to 25.24%. They're getting their clock cleaned.

Last month they raised my limit to $1000 this month they jack my rate to 25%.

At least they were kind enough to give me a little love before they..... me in the ......

Juniper just converted my platinum card from a 9.9% fixed rate to a 19.99% variable. When interest rates start to rise (imminent- check the spiking 10yr yield), the card will be in the low 20s. :?

Looks like there will be no more upgrades to Visa cards...

http://www.businessweek.com/news/2010-04-20/target-deals-blow-to-visa-with-switch-to-in-store-credit-cards.html

April 20 (Bloomberg) -- Target Corp., the second-largest U.S. discount chain, will stop issuing Visa Inc. credit cards to new applicants and spur use of its own plastic. “Guests tend to spend more at Target when issued a Target Credit Card instead of a Target Visa,” the Minneapolis-based company said today in a statement.

It says "no new applicants," not necessarily "no more upgrades"... but I agree that upgrades are less likely than ever before.

The announcement regarding Target no longer offering Visa's is...interesting, and given the posts in this thread over the past several years, seems to be made on flawed logic. If other Target card holders use the same logic as individuals on this board, the reason more people with Target branded cards are shopping at Target is so that they can get the Target Visa. If there's not a Visa to work towards, what good is a 25% interest card that can only be used at Target?

We're carrying a nearly $5000 balance on our Target card and are looking to transfer that balance elsewhere, given that nearly $100 of our $135 monthly payments are going directly towards interest.