debt validation question

sumonefromhi

ok so I got a call today from a collection agancy that said they were collecting a debt on behalf of the department of treasury and that the dep. of treasury was going to take further actions by either garnishment, tax withholding ect. in I think she said a week or two unless I set up some kind of payment arrangment at which time I told her that I would not set up anything until I was assured that this was a valid debt. she got a little mad at this and told me that the government wouldnt sue if it wasn't a valid debt.

I told her again that I wouldnt pay anything until I validated the debt so she gave me the information for the account and told me that she would send the information out but it wouldn't arrive before the dot took action.

so i know that the best way to debt validate is to send a certified letter but can a verbal request followed up by a written request be sufficient and would a verbal request stop the collection activity until the debt was validated?

btw the collection agancy is diversified collection services i'd like to hear if others have had similar problems with them

First, don't let the CA put time pressures on you. This being owed to the Government...I wouldn't even deal with them at all. You should be dealing with IRS/Treasury.

With that being said, you need to get to the bottom of why the Treasury is after you. Do you owe federal taxes? That would be my first guess.

I had the same problem..

Are you sure you owe the debt. Because when I had the this problem I owed 116.00 to the state of ohio , they called my PT employeer and wanted to Garnish my wages. I Called them ASAP and asked them what was going on. They took the payment over the phone.. no problems

3 years later I get a CN from this diversified collection services. I belive they are in OHIO.. Anyway she says we are collecting 26.85 on behalf of the state of ohio . I said Bull Sh!t.. I paid the state of Ohio 3 years ago.. well these are for our collection services. Im not paying that..

You have to...

Do you have a repciet... Yes I do..

Can you send it to Us ?? .... Nope... Ill send a copy.

Our address is ....... Hold on.. send me a prepaid self addressed stamped envelope. and you will recieve a copy of the repciet

I have not heard anything since.. that was over 6 months ago