2 or 3br appraisal on refi or sell

ba0501

When I bought my house 2 years ago, it was appraised as a 2br for which it was originally built. It had a garage that was enclosed and turned into another room, either den, living, bedroom, etc.. If I try to refinance or sell, can I have it appraised as a 3br house in order to have a higher appraised value? Thanks for any responses!

For a room to be defined as a bedroom, it has to meet certain criteria. I'm not sure a modified garage would meet that criteria, but it might, depending on the area. Your local building inspector could probably give you a better idea.

I found this as pertaining to NC:

http://activerain.com/blogsview/342489/To-be-or-not

I know around here you would have a very difficult time defining a garage as a bedroom unless it were heavily remodeled so as to be a complete part of the home, ie heated/cooled, garage door removed and replaced with a wall, closet added etc.