I just pulled my EX report this morning from myfico.com and finally after 7 years of suffering and no late payments my score is now a 771. I'm looking for a major credit card that will hopefully give me at least a $5k limit so that I can tell HSBC and their $600 limit that I've had for 6 years to go you know what themselves.

I do have one baddie left on that report, it's a nearly 7 year old Providian charge off.

Anyone have any recent experiences to share?

I've already been to my credit union to see if they would lower my interest rates on my auto loans. They went from %9.25 to %6.5. Every little bit helps! Knocked almost $3k of interest off the loans.

Maybe I'll ask them about a Visa card.

Thanks.

Eddie

Thanks. I tried whogavemecredit.com but haven't ried the credit boards yet.

My credit union offered me a $2500 limit @ 11.9%. Tempting, but I'm looking for more.

Eddie

Thanks for the heads up on the credit boards database. I checked my EQ this morning and its a 763 with no baddies so that opens up more options. My TU score is killing me at 613 because of an old collection reporting as currently delinquent.

Thanks.

Eddie

Thanks. I tried whogavemecredit.com but haven't ried the credit boards yet.

My credit union offered me a $2500 limit @ 11.9%. Tempting, but I'm looking for more.

Eddie

Not for nothing, but you should be grateful you even got that much, with credit being so tight everywhere else.

If you're looking for more for the sake of looking for more, then that's not very wise (and that's being kind).

If you have a specific plan for "more", then perhaps I might stand corrected. Plus, CUs from what I read pretty much hook up CLIs like it's candy to a hyperactive 3 year old.....

AboveAverage,

Thanks for the reply. I guess after 6 years of low limits with no late pays I'm being a bit greedy. I wised up today and accepted the $2500 card from my credit union. I'm leaving my Household accounts open for now, but once I close on a house they can suck an egg and shove their CLI increase fees where the sun doesn't shine.

But I'm not bitter or anything.

Eddie

AboveAverage,

Thanks for the reply. I guess after 6 years of low limits with no late pays I'm being a bit greedy. I wised up today and accepted the $2500 card from my credit union. I'm leaving my Household accounts open for now, but once I close on a house they can suck an egg and shove their CLI increase fees where the sun doesn't shine.

But I'm not bitter or anything.

Eddie

Smart man. :) Use your low limits for low purchases (pack of gum, gas, whatever) and concentrate your $2500 for your bigger purchases, while trying to stay within 35% of total utilization (the lower the better, though). Including your $2500, what is the total amount of credit you have now? If you're trying to increase your scores for a house purchase, keeping low utilization while showing use of your cards will give you bigger scores. That I do know. Your score will dip a bit because you took a new account, but after one month it will shoot back up and continue to do so (provided of course, no lates)

How long do you have til you close on your house (or rather, what stage are you on)? If you are trying to close on a house, it is also advisable that you not take on new credit right now. All of this talk on the economy that you are no doubt reading/hearing about is related to credit. When that situation gets better, banks will be more willing to extend credit to you.