C/C company asking for SSN

I recently sent a threatening type letter to a credit card company asking them to validate that the card and account was mine, I do not recall it. I even gave them the account number that the credit bureau provided. they sent back a letter stating they need my Social security number in order to complete my inquiry. Is this legal for them to ask for?thank you

OCs are not required to validate anything. They can ask for anything they want. You do not have to provide the info.

A better approach may be to dispute with all 3 CRAs first. Then, if it comes back verified, send a 623 letter to the OC.

Since you said you don't "recall" the credit card, I'm assuming that there is a possiblility that it could be your debt. If the debt truly isn't yours, then you may need to consider filing the ID Theft paperwork with the FTC and a police report.

Oh figured it out..Original creditor.

Well I did ask for validation from the 3 bureaus actaully just equifax...thats the only one its on...and the letter I sent was a 623 letter...where I stated the exact law..etc etc.and threatened legal action..etc...and they replied asking for my SSN

thanks

Equifax does not have to validate. They can verify the info reported by the OC. Did you send the 623 to the CRA or to the OC?

If you read the 623 law, it address disputes of specifc information shown in the TL. So, did you request info on a specifc date, amount, etc? You can just ask for a full account history also. You don't have to include your SS# if you don't want to. Remind them that they should be able to find the account using the account number listed on your CR. Make sure you include the full account number including any extra zeros, Xs, etc.

yes I did ask equifax to validate....and they did...then again they validated a medical charge that was not mine..and I sent the OC a request for all information on the account. I also included the full account number...If i refuse to send my SSN can they refuse to validate the account?

Thank you

Sounds like phishing to me....how can it be in your report without a valid ss#...I would not send them anything...send then a DV letter and make them prove your the correct debtor

I gave my SS# once to a CA, before I found this forum, to prove it was not mine and magically all the debts became mine....I had to go thru hell to prove it was not mine.

So be careful and sidestep the issue, DV them and go thru the proven procedures found here on the forum...You will be better off

JMHO