ManWithANewPlan

Question about the repair timeline

I've been reading the boards here for a couple of weeks now, but I'm confused about a couple of things. I've gotten copies of my CRs and I'm looking at what to do next.

First, should you attempt to settle any accounts you know are yours prior to beginning credit repair? Some of these accounts I know are mine and I want to pay them. It seems odd to dispute first if I know they're mine.

Seconds, the primers in the stickies here and the CIC credit repair link all say dispute every TL for each report with the CRA and then wait for the response. A couple people have spoken up recently on the forums about TLs being updated or renewed collection activity taking place after disputing information, so I'm concerned disputing may not actually be the wisest course. What is the collective wisdom on this issue?

Finally, Divemedic's primer above states that after you dispute the TLs and get the responses from the CRAs, you DV or dispute with the OCs. This sets up your 1-2 punch (with the CAs) which means you must re dispute with the CRA correct? Also, it's recommended in a couple places that you wait 60 days between CRA disputes, so, does that imply that you wait 60 after your initial CRA disputes to begin your CA DVs and OC disputes?

There are literally dozens of ways to interpret everything you read here and even more ways to put the various ideas into action. In the end, you have to do what you're comfortable with.

I've always looked at each account on its own merits and tried to determine if the possible negative effects of my actions are worth the risk in terms of the positive.

I've been reading the boards here for a couple of weeks now, but I'm confused about a couple of things. I've gotten copies of my CRs and I'm looking at what to do next.

First, should you attempt to settle any accounts you know are yours prior to beginning credit repair? Some of these accounts I know are mine and I want to pay them. It seems odd to dispute first if I know they're mine.

Seconds, the primers in the stickies here and the CIC credit repair link all say dispute every TL for each report with the CRA and then wait for the response. A couple people have spoken up recently on the forums about TLs being updated or renewed collection activity taking place after disputing information, so I'm concerned disputing may not actually be the wisest course. What is the collective wisdom on this issue?

Finally, Divemedic's primer above states that after you dispute the TLs and get the responses from the CRAs, you DV or dispute with the OCs. This sets up your 1-2 punch (with the CAs) which means you must re dispute with the CRA correct? Also, it's recommended in a couple places that you wait 60 days between CRA disputes, so, does that imply that you wait 60 after your initial CRA disputes to begin your CA DVs and OC disputes?

It depends on the age of your accounts. If you merely pay a debt that's yours, then the age resets itself as a paid collection. Then that's another 7 years. That's why most folks here advocate trying a PFD method. Also, just because a debt is yours, doesn't mean you will pay it if it's disputed and gone.

To elaborate on what I mean, a few years ago (before I knew better), I had paid a medical account for my DF for $300 to a JDB. What ended up happening? The JDB sold the debt to another JDB for the same amount. This wasn't a different bill, this was for the same medical I had paid JDB2. When I mailed them a copy of the money order and bill from jdb1 they backed off. But that type of crap happens ALL the time. I'm not saying don't do the right thing, I am saying do the right thing and protect yourself.