Sign in to follow this  
lwspirit76

Condo Association Lawyer letter

Hi everyone - I have only posted once before, but i have an issue that I need advice on. Any help would be appreciated. Here is the story:

I live in a townhouse development - my monthly condo fee is $187 a month. I got a letter from the association that said I was behind about $400. About three weeks after that I got a letter from the condo lawyer that said i owed $907!! In the letter it said you are delinquent in the months of December 2007, July 2008, September 2008 and October 2008. The interesting thing is the sent me the letter in September (a month which i paid and have a copy of the check) so how can i be late in October? I paid October on time. So by my calculations i only owe on July 2008 and December 2007. I immediately sent a letter back to the lawyer indicating this and also sent the association a check for the amout of July and December. I don't know what to do next. The association has not cashed either of my checks - the October on time check or the make-up check for the 2 missed months (it's been over 10 days). The lawyer sent me another letter asking that i prove I paid them for all of the above - but i can only prove September as that is the only one they have cashed. what should I do? Should i call the association about the 2 checks? should I call the lawyer? should I wait? Should I write another letter? I feel like I have acted quickly and paid what was owed, what is next. PLEASE HELP!!

Best,

Lisa

Did you call your management company that processes these checks? That would have been the first place I would have called?

Also, I trust that if you're [still] writing checks out and mailing them, you make notations in your checkbook when you wrote the check (but really, why don't you use online banking....it really is safe, convenient and makes it VERY easy to go back to for issues just like the one you're having.....).

I would call your management company first before contacting the lawyer.

Thanks for the post... I do use internet banking - i actually have my bank send the check instead of me - so i do have a trail. Which is how i can tell they haven't cashed them. I guess my concern is that i am stuck now because i did act quickly and paid my debt, but until they cash it i can only give them check numbers as proof. I am also concerned because i disagreed with the total they sent me, i don't know how to proceed in dealing with the disagreement. They also want me to pay the legal bills - is there any way i can get out of that?

Thanks again everyone.

Are you being charged interest or fees for non-payment or late payment of your condo fee? Maybe that's why the amount is so high.

In our area it is common for the HOA or condo fee payments to be held by the property manager if you are 60 days behind. They then forward the checks to the attorney that sends you the letter - the attorney puts on his fees then sends you a letter and will not cash the checks. They usually want money orders/cashiers check for the whole past due amount plus attorney fees then they will give you a release.

Oh man - i hope they don't hold them for 60 days. They didn't mention that in the original lawyer letter.

I think the reason it was so high to begin with was because they were trying to charge me for the months of September and October when I paid both of them on time.

Thanks everyone - it is really helpful talking through these things... maybe i should give it a few more days then call the association? anyway to get out of paying their legal fees?

Oh man - i hope they don't hold them for 60 days. They didn't mention that in the original lawyer letter.

Not hold them for 60 days. But if you are 60 days behind (you mentioned Dec 2007 and July 2008 that is 60 days).

Call your association today, find out where the checks are and if they have been processed

Thanks for the post... I do use internet banking - i actually have my bank send the check instead of me - so i do have a trail. Which is how i can tell they haven't cashed them. I guess my concern is that i am stuck now because i did act quickly and paid my debt, but until they cash it i can only give them check numbers as proof. I am also concerned because i disagreed with the total they sent me, i don't know how to proceed in dealing with the disagreement. They also want me to pay the legal bills - is there any way i can get out of that?

Thanks again everyone.

Well, if you do use Internet banking, you can find when the check was processed and print that information out. That's your proof right there (you won't need to wait until your check was cashed by them, only when your bank sent the check).

I am with Denita, you need to contact the association/management company before you contact the lawyer. I'm not entirely sure if this was their mess up, or yours, but you need to get this straightened out before you contact the lawyer.