Sign in to follow this  
sparky256DSL

Hard INQ for no reason??

I called my local phone company on Friday to get a home phone line hooked up. Never once during the conversation did the rep tell me about needing to pull my credit for anything. Well I get the phone and then a couple hours later I check my credit, as I usually do at the same time everyday, and find that the wireless branch of the company did a hard pull on my credit. I never asked about wireless and the rep didn't offer the service to me.

Now I know it is 1 INQ and that is really isn't hurting my scores but I always thought that they had to disclose they were going to pull my credit report. I know the cable company said they had to legally disclose it when I spoke to them about internet phone service.

Well I called the phone company and explained to them that I never authorized them to pull my credit and the supervisor said she didn't know what happened but that it was standard procedure to pull credit for wireless service and then I again explained to her that it wasn't for wireless and she said then she didn't know why they would have pulled it. I explained that I was pretty sure it was illegal for them to pull without disclosing it to me and without previous business with their company and she agreed and promissed to research it and get back to me.

She did call back and leave me a message saying she contacted the customer satisfaction dept and that they were going to pull the recording of my conversation with the rep and see what they could do. She said they didn't think they could do much and that I should challenge the INQ with the CRA. It is unfortunantly TU and they never research INQs for me. They are suppose to contact me today or tomorrow with the "results" of their investigation.

Is it wrong for me to want this removed? What should I do when they tell me they can not remove it?

Thanks

Due to my bumping experience, I can tell you that 1 INQ is about a 5 point FICO difference for me. (between 6 INQs and 5 INQs).

To put it in perspective for you, that 1 INQ can be the difference between 660 (good) and 655 (not good).

By the same token, even if that INQ were to never go away, you'll probably see a 10 point jump within 2 months anyway. (Provided of course, there are no negative items in those two months...)

Two sides of the same coin, pick one. :)

• Like 1

Sparky, I understand where you are coming from. A cashier at Macy's may ask if you would like to save money on future purchases. As soon as you say, "yes", the next thing you know, you have a hard pull on your Credit Report.

Or a person selling cell phones may ask to check your credit just for the sake of knowing if you would have to pay an upfront fee if you were to sign up with their service. 'How about I kick you in the balls in order to see if it hurts.' :p

Some people are sneaky, which is why I try to ask everyone if there would be a credit check whenever doing business with them.

I was pretty sure they had to disclose they were going to check your credit and the supervisor I spoke with did tell me I was right about that. This company records all phone calls and they are suppose to review the call and get back to me - They said within 2 days so hopefully today. I am very credit careful now thanks to CIC and I would have said no if they would have asked like they were suppose to.

Anyone who looks at your credit makes you less creditworthy to the next looker.

If it's within 3-6 months, that's probably true, especially if you're app spreeing during a turbulent economic time like today.

Otherwise, not so much.

Sparky,

I wanted to thank you for your post. I wasn't aware that they could or would go back and pull the phone recordings.

I recently switched to Verizon's Fios. I initially tried to do it online, but when I discovered they were changing my phone number I stopped short of hitting the submit button. Later that day I noticed a Verizon inquiry on my EX report.

I followed up with ordering the service by phone to save my phone number. When the guy asked for my SS# I hesitated and told him an inquiry has already been made on my report. He advised that they will see they already have the info so a second pull won't be made. HA. Sure enough the next day was a second inquiry.

I got tossed around at Verizon until I ended up with their problem customer department. The rude girl advised that Verizon never deletes inquiries. I've been waiting for the promised return call from a supervisor for about a month now.

Again, thanks for the info. I'll run that rabit.