At my wits end! - J&M Securities

Hello everyone! Been awhile since I visited the forums. Here is my situation:

I was being sued by J&M Securities on behalf of Lesco Auto Sales for a car they sold me that they reposessed. After consulting a lawyer because it was my second summons in a matter of weeks, she reviewed the information and stated that I may have a case against them. After several painstaking months and a deposition, it was decided that we should no longer pursue them legally and accept a settlement for arrangement to pay them $2000 over the course of a year, at $175/month. This started back in October of 2007. Since then I have paid them on time, give or take a few where I sent the check on the due date versus a few days before. Well in April I decided I would pay them a little more each month so I can have it paid off in August versus September, so I started paying them $193. Well come August I couldn't remember whether or not it was my last payment, by the time I realized it, it was a week late. I still sent it in. Two weeks went by and they still had not cashed it so I figured July was my last payment. I called the office and was told that they could not speak to me that there was an issue and my lawyer would have to call. I contacted my lawyer and she was on medical leave, so I was told to relay that to J&M. I called them back and was told they need something in writing. I called back my law office and was told she would send something. I was copied on the letter and I called J&M back. They told me they couldn't accept that letter because it was sent by their secretary. Finally I reached my actual lawyer and she called them and they called me and told me the issue was I forgot to sign my check. I was furious that it was something that simple that could've been resolved faster than the week or so it took to get the answer. I promptly sent another check and waited. After another 2 weeks I noticed that check had not been cashed. I called them again and I was told that the check I sent in did not have the amount filled out! They basically told me they could no longer speak with me and they would have to continue all other communication through my lawyer. My lawyer is still on medical leave and after another 2 weeks of waiting for a response from her office I finally called them earlier this week for an update and was told that my "lawyer" said she cannot help me, and to tell J&M that she no longer represents me.

I don't know what to do. Meanwhile I have been holding on to this $193 since August and don't know what to do. I tried calling J&M back but got the receptionist and she only takes a message. Should I contact another lawyer? Should I just go to the office with check/money order in hand? What should I do. I part of me just wants to say forget it and wait for the law to get involved again, but I really just want this over. They are portraying me as a person who is purposely doing this and I am not. It was my last freaking payment and I want it over as fast as they do!

Please advise.

You'll need to get another lawyer. This mess is too complicated for you to handle yourself.

Essentially J&M is accusing you of breaching the settlement agreement. If that agreement had liquidated damages this just turned into a real volcano ready to blow up in your face.

The legitimacy of their claim that the checks were unsigned or not filled out properly is a big question mark. I find it hard to believe you filled out two checks incorrectly when you were down to the last payment. Also, since you started paying extra, you are ahead of the payment schedule so you can't be in breach.

I think they are trying to screw you out of the agreement in order to get more.

You'll need to get another lawyer. This mess is too complicated for you to handle yourself.

Essentially J&M is accusing you of breaching the settlement agreement. If that agreement had liquidated damages this just turned into a real volcano ready to blow up in your face.

The legitimacy of their claim that the checks were unsigned or not filled out properly is a big question mark. I find it hard to believe you filled out two checks incorrectly when you were down to the last payment. Also, since you started paying extra, you are ahead of the payment schedule so you can't be in breach.

I think they are trying to screw you out of the agreement in order to get more.

Well unfortunately after checking my records, the first check doesn't appear I signed according to the carbon copy, and the second check, I spelled out the amount, but it appears I didn't put the amount in the actual amount field. I can only choke it up to stress, as I paid every other payment the same way, so it was wierd for me. Where can I look for another lawyer?