Seizing Bank Accounts in Texas

kbyrd50

I have a judgment on me in Texas for a credit card for 5,000. I don't have any money in the bank nor do I have any assets. I usually just cash my check. Can they prohibit me from cashing my wages at my bank if they freeze my checking account for a judgment? Any answers would greatly be appreciated laws in Texas.

I have a judgment on me in Texas for a credit card for 5,000. I don't have any money in the bank nor do I have any assets. I usually just cash my check. Can they prohibit me from cashing my wages at my bank if they freeze my checking account for a judgment? Any answers would greatly be appreciated laws in Texas.

When a judgment occurs after a successful lawsuit the judgment creditor (as they are now known) can sit on it if they like. It depends on state law, but eventually it does expire, sometimes they can be reset.

When they go to garnish your bank account the bank freezes the amount of the judgment sought, and a bit more to cover costs. Once its settled, the freeze is released.

If they garnish your bank account - and you have nothing in it, it should be released fairly quickly. They can only take what is there. They cannot make it go negative or close it.

If you cash your check vs. deposit it - usually you need the amount of the check in deposits with that bank to receive cash right? Well if that bit is frozen, than you can only go to the employers bank to cash it. Unless your bank doesn't require an equal deposit to receive cash from a check.