really

crnbread73

Why are you filing? If you are judgment proof or the asset you are trying to protect is aready exempt under state law, then your other option would be to not to file.

You could file pro se but you'll have to spend time a little time doing your homework. Its not that hard for a no-asset Chapter 7.

my true concern is providing them our bank account records. my mother has been giving us money to pay our bills (rent etc) so our bank account shows more than what our true income is. We have no other assets. I have a vehicle that is financed and upside down but current (mother was co-signer) and hubby has a small truck that is paid for but it is for him to get to and from work when he has it. Thing is that hasn't been the case since september. He does use it to look for work but the truck really isn't worth much less than $5000. Other than that we have nothing. We have our basic living things such as furniture and kitchen stuff but all of that stuff is over 4 years old so not worth much. tried to talk to ca about payments but they refuse. So bk is my option.

If your mother has been paying living expenses that will show on your bank records.

The car with your mother as co-signor is pretty much protected. Because if your obligation is discharged, hers is not. As long as someone keeps paying the bill, they can't take that vehicle and your mom remains liable for it.

Filing pro-se is not advised. Under the new law you can end up with your case dismissed and loosing your filing fee if you make a procedural mistake. You also will not be equipped to deal with adversarial complaints filed by creditors.

So one way to afford the lawyer is to simply stop paying on any unsecured debt. It will take them 60 to 90 days to take any legal action anyways. Use that time to save up for the lawyer and filing fee. You can also see if you can find a reduced cost attorney by checking with the National Association of Consumer Bankruptcy Attorneys.

I filed pro se for my husband and I. Everything went smoothly and our bk was discharged really quick.

We filed chapter 7. We were able to keep our house and our car. We did however have to surrender our tax return and stimulus check.

Let me know if you need more info...