Report to the police?

Chester P. Dexter

Paypal just called to talk to me about a negative account balance. Of course, I don't have a neg. acct balance so it came out that last May someone opened an account using my:

Name

Address

SS#

and their own bank account and e-mail address (she gave me the name of the bank and the e-mail address.) It is being reported to PayPal's fraud dept. right now.

They opened a seller's account and now owe something like a hundred or so dollars. Something to do with credit card chargebacks and a quick way to make a free buck.

I suspect this has something to do with my Merrick bank VISA being compromised in April. That was caught right away. This paypal nonsense was opened in May, with charges in June.

I asked the hub if I really need to report this to the police and how people do this sort of crime, anyway, he said:

"They make up all the info - or steal it from a server somewhere. They use it for a short time , then they move on. They are like ghosts. You can't catch them.

A lot of times they are overseas in Russia or China

You don't need to report it unless you have had actual cash stolen or your credit cards compromised

After the Merrick got found out then they probably marked your number as no good. (The criminals I mean)

Probably one of many in an Indian terrorist sweat shop stealing american IDs

Paypal doesn't have the time or the staff to truly investigate. They will just close the account and block the IPs - then write off their losses."

Sorry if I've offended anyone by mentioning countries or nationalities - it wasn't meant to offend. I do know that when my Merrick card was compromised it was an overseas transaction. Anyway, since social security numbers are, face it, not classified information and finding a name and address is extremely easy, we will all have to face this type of attempted information breach at one time or another.

Anyone else's thoughts on the matter? I'm not very worried about it since last activity on this seems to have been in June, but of course it makes my blood boil to know that some a-hole out there has my name, address and SS# and thought they could fleece someone of some # using my identity. This is going to be more and more common in the internet/information age, though, with everyone entering their CC information all over the internet (at least I don't hesitate to purchase what I want, where I want.) I sort of blame it all on that stinky Merrick Bank but I don't know if that's misplaced blame - the information could have been stolen at any merchant or God knows where, in between.

*and before we mention any Asian countries unfairly, I have to say that the Merrick transaction was at a merchant in France, and the name on the e-mail address (can you believe these people were so stupid as to use what appears to be first and last name in their g-mail address???) seems to be a Danish name. Boo Frenchies, Boo Danes. j/k of course, I have no idea exactly what scum carried this out but it's not giving the Danes a good name.

** actually, I don't know if it was a name that sounds vaguely Italian now that I think of it, and their bank was Metabank, out in the American midwest.

My Barnes and Noble (Barclay's) was messed with in April as well. In my case they caught them fast as well (they called ME). Also from Overseas (Spain).

YES If there's the threat or the possibility of this potentially ending up on your CRs - fill out the ID Theft affadavit and file a Police Report. CYA is the name of the game, my dear :-)

He's right about the ghosts and about the after-effects. Noone will probably ever be caught or prosecuted. But file a report for your own protectiont. I've heard of consumers being asked for reports that date from the time of the alleged crime, not when it's discovered; although this is not mentioned in the actual law.

For the best info on this, read the FCRA 1681c-2, Subsection 605B. All the documentation listed must be submitted or your claim can be ignored. FYI: Placing a Fraud Alert and getting some things suppressed can be easy, OR can be more difficult, especially without a valid report. But once you submit the Report, the CRA's have no choice but to permanently block the alleged entries. Notice that you can dispute entire accounts or specific transactions.

You may also wish to refer to the FCRA 1681a, Subsection 603(q). That's the 'definitions' part of the law. It gives the official take on a valid ID theft report, provides the reason it's required and gives alternatives to lazy, local police.

Hi...YES. Please report it to the police! The sooner the better, because as soon as PP begins digging into this person's doings, he or she will get a heads-up to get the heck out of Dodge and may never be found.

You want the person indicted if possible, and you don't want him or her having time to pass your info on to a cohort so that person can continue to mess with your credit and they can split the difference. (And/or just sell your info to another crook.) This can definitely happen.

Good luck and I hope the police catch them for you. :) As others have said, it's just as likely that he or she will not...but I would recommend in the future that you contact the police first so the criminal has no advance notice that you're on to them.

Also, find out about a credit monitoring service so you're alerted to anything suspicious going on with your name, SS, etc. while it's still going on.