Help...Asset Acceptance Again, ugh!

armywife

Greetings all! I haven't been on in a long time, we've been doing well, so that is good! However, Asset Acceptance has reared its ugly head again! We have recently been bombarded with calls and letters, so I pulled the CR's and have found nothing on them(waiting for TU to come in the mail).

Here's the scoop....the OC is a no longer on any CR, past the 7 yr. reporting period. Also, the SOL is past in both our state, GA and FL and MI, which Asset operates out of. Asset showed up about a year and a half ago on his CR's after we DV'd them with all kinds of messed up info. They dropped back off around March off this year (yeah, we slacked off, things got crazy around here, I know we should have stayed on it). So, now we are back to them harrassing us.

I'm not sure what to do exactly. I don't want to send them a letter and then have them back on the CR's like last time, that was a mess!! However, I'm done wasting my time dealing with these creeps. Does anyone have any suggestions??

Thanks!!

first and foremost find out if your state requires collection agencies to be licensed to collect. Asset has a very bad habit of never being licensed. After I found out that they werent licensed in my state to collect, I filed a AG complaint and they were gone for good

Another thing is that the accounts are past SOL. They cant get a judgment against you on them if you show up to court and raise that arguement. Its the end of the year and they are hurting for more money and their collectors are wanting to make a bonus. Im sure a few poeple will be getting calls out of the woodwork

Unless your intent is to settle the debt; and as long as you are certain and can show that this debt(s) is SOL, there is no reason I can see to screw around with them.

Time for a cease communication order, including that you know these are out of statute, then keep an eye on your local courts for any back-door lawsuits.

At least, that's how I see it. :)

• 3 weeks later...
first and foremost find out if your state requires collection agencies to be licensed to collect. Asset has a very bad habit of never being licensed. After I found out that they werent licensed in my state to collect, I filed a AG complaint and they were gone for good

I decided to look into this and, according to my state's licensing website (Florida), Asset Acceptance's license in the State of Florida expired on December 31, 2008. Should I give it a week or two to see if it's renewed and THEN hit them with not being licensed in FL?

I decided to look into this and, according to my state's licensing website (Florida), Asset Acceptance's license in the State of Florida expired on December 31, 2008. Should I give it a week or two to see if it's renewed and THEN hit them with not being licensed in FL?

Did they have a license when they originally sent you a dunning letter? They may use that as an answer to the AG or BBB. But personally I would fire away complaints to AG and BBB about them currently not being licensed and still attempting to collect from you.

Did they have a license when they originally sent you a dunning letter? They may use that as an answer to the AG or BBB. But personally I would fire away complaints to AG and BBB about them currently not being licensed and still attempting to collect from you.

I've never received one piece of correspondence from Asset Acceptance. Not one. I've tried three times with each CRA to have this listing deleted and, so far, I've only been successful with Equifax in having it deleted. They might have been licensed at the time the they may sent me something but they have no proof that they actually mailed me something. I will

What, precisely, are you trying to accomplish?

If you are only concerned about tradelines then I believe the "state license" requirement is a wast of time.

So long as they meet Federal statutes, info/data furnishers can furnish data to the bureaus and to the best of my knowledge, a CA doesn't have to be licensed in your state to be able to provide data to a bureau. Of course, you state may indeed have some sway in this but you would need to check your state laws.

That said, I think you would get further disputing for reasons that are covered in the Federal statutes and as described on this website (the "1-2 punch").