Trying to help the Ex-wife..

wrenchdevil

While married, I had a CC in my name through Providian, and added a card for my then wife. It shows on each of our CR's as an open account, placed for collection in 2005. As she is trying to refinance her mortgage this negative has shown up on her CR and causing problems with the refi. What would be the best plan of attack for her to try and have this removed from her CR? I am willing to help her in anyway that I can to have this deleted, so advice is, as always, appreciated!

Thanks! :)

D

The debt was while we lived in Florida, now we both live in NJ..(I know, I know..why would anyone move from Florida to NJ..??)

Does that change anything?

In the United States there are nine community property states: Arizona, California, Idaho, Louisiana, Nevada, New Mexico, Texas, Washington and Wisconsin.

Here's a quote just for your peace of mind. Florida is not a community property state either.

Are you sure you she's not liable though? You opened the account in your name and then just ordered her a card to use right?