StressPot

Great reason not to talk to a CA on the phone!

Found this posting interesting. This information shows that it's best to keep everything written/documented then waste your time on the phone. Using the phone is especially dangerous if you find yourself easily bully'd.

http://forum.freeadvice.com/debt-collections-84/collections-collectors-pov-443799.html

Collections: the collector's POV

Swipe my card, enter my code and walk in the building. This building, a rather nondescript office with minimal signage, has better security than most banks - and it isn't for that data. The security is for liability.

We deal with people that owe money. Some owe lots of money; some only owe a few hundred bucks. And they all react differently. In our mail, we've received white powder, ticking packages and things they haven't even told me about. Our mail doesn't come to our office. It gets out-sourced.

The office windows are bullet resistant. Not bullet proof. Not that it matters, cubicle walls are fairly low and seats packed close together.

In the building, we have to clock-in. Then it starts. It takes the average collector 49.8 seconds from clock-in to log into the system. We don't pay for that 49.8 seconds. And you really don't want to be last to often. Darwin would love collections. We eat the last place people.

The calls start precisely at 7 a.m. Not 6:59 and 50 seconds, not 7:00 and 5 seconds - exactly at 7 a.m. - or 8 a.m. eastern. Ironically, someone always gets called before 8 a.m. and the reason is always the same: They live in another time zone and have an east coast area code.

Four a.m. in Hawaii? Opps, it's 8 in New York - bet you update that phone number within two or three weeks.

The collector must average 40 to 60 connections an hour and if a call goes over a minute, I get a notice on my desktop. Get the money and get off the phone. Talk to long and I will talk to them.

Collectors are essentially telemarketers until they advance to higher dollar accounts or management. The collector on the phone doesn't know you, doesn't care about you, and hasn't read the account until after your conversation is half over. You have 45 seconds to be reaching for the checkbook or the collector is forcing an end to the call.

These collectors turn over pretty quick and burn out frequently.

The next level is the collector that survived the telemarketing weeding out rounds and is becoming educated about collections processes, laws, debtor psychology and takes pride in one of the best, one of the ones that make great money - the phone monkeys don't, they make 7-8 bucks an hour and get a bonus only if they perform in the top 20 percent.

If you owe on a telecom account, you are probably talking to a phone monkey. If you are saying anything other than reading check numbers, they don't care.

The level above the phone monkey is meaner and better. They are ones that will discuss finances and work out payment plans. The pro will try to help work out the situation within the guidelines they have from management. The pro will also kick you in the teeth if you mess with them. Blow a payment plan with a pro -- you get moved to the poop list. We can program the computers to call some files more often than others. Broken agreements are considered a higher priority; do the math.

When you are dealing with a phone monkey or an entry-level pro, don't be a jerk. The phone monkeys talk to 40 jerks an hour. They want to talk to a decent chap. And the pros used to be phone monkeys - they aren't wasting any time on a jerk.

As for being a jerk and asking for a supervisor, yeah right. You can talk to Bob, the monkey sitting next to your collector or you can be transferred to an unused extension. Supervisors don't have time for jerks. They have to supervise their team, make their own calls and answer to the floor manager. If you ever get to talk to a floor manager, you are as close to god in the collections industry as you are going to get.

Nobody ever gets past the floor manager and few people actually get to talk to him. If you have a complaint - he's the final stop. If you are a jerk, he's the guy that decides how hard you get kicked in the nuts. An 8 a.m. phone call for the rest of your life? This guy can make that happen.

He is also one of the few that can actually do something about most of the actual problems debtors have with collections accounts: bad info, incorrect amounts, abusive collectors and such. -- more later, I have to go kick someone in the nuts.

NOTE: This was posted on a website that claims to help consumers with their debts. It's funny to note that the main posters that "help" are collections agents or collections attorney's. I guess the joke is on the poster...

StressPot xdancex

If you are a jerk, he's the guy that decides how hard you get kicked in the nuts. An 8 a.m. phone call for the rest of your life? This guy can make that happen.

This entire thing pissed me off but this part did the most. What he is threatening in the section I quoted is illegal and can be dealt with accordingly. I sure hope no consumers were scared by reading this on that site and I hope whoever wrote this gets what he deserves.

DEANNATX: I visit that website often, and it is painful for me because I choose not to post in defense of people. Reason one - I don't have enough experience fighting CA's and JDB's. And two, the person that posted this is one of many primary posters that "help" consumers. I have tried, and I get the same berating treatment.

I have reported threads of his and I am sure others have too. The problem is that the web management doesn't seem to mind the way he "helps". In the past, if there is a violation of the forums rules, the moderators just edit or delete the offending postings. To my knowledge he and his ilk have never been reprimanded even though the rules state violators will be banned/sue'd.

With his clan's help, they berate and confuse consumers in the hopes that outside of the forums their victims will pay. Mind you, this is just my assumption, but there is a lot of posted evidence to show I may be right.

StressPot xdancex

With his clan's help, they berate and confuse consumers in the hopes that outside of the forums their victims will pay. Mind you, this is just my assumption, but there is a lot of posted evidence to show I may be right.

Oh I totally agree. I'm glad people can come here and find out that that what most of these jerks are doing is illegal and that they can actually do something about it if they need to.

You know somebody read that guy's post and thought, "Dang I better pay or they can harass me for the rest of my life." They pay whatever the big bad debt collector tells them to pay without giving it a second thought, operating out of fear. It actually makes me sad. :(

I've spoken to a few like that in the course of doing my own and GF's credit repair. I actually get a kick out it. I can remain totally calm and non commital, without ever saying anything to confirm or deny the debt. I've had some screaming mad on the phone.

I've spoken to a few like that in the course of doing my own and GF's credit repair. I actually get a kick out it. I can remain totally calm and non commital, without ever saying anything to confirm or deny the debt. I've had some screaming mad on the phone.

I feel ya, man. A CA better think twice about calling me. After all the credit repair I have done, and the posts/books I've read about CA's and repairing my credit...I will be the one laughing at them! HA!

It's funny to note that the main posters that "help" are collections agents or collections attorney's. I guess the joke is on the poster...

Up to a point. I have been a member and frequent poster over there for a long time and I DO post to help people simply BECAUSE there are 'jerks' like that over there trying to scare people and some give out BS inforamtion. Someone has to have the nerve to kick back !

There are collection people over there who DO help, who DO disseminate accurate and factual information .. and they are not "all" from the collection industry. The author of that post, "debtcollector" is not always a 'nice guy' and not always a 'bad guy' either. He and I have, on many occasions, disagreed and gone head to head, and we have often just agreed to disagree, and that's fine too. He can be rather acerbic, who wouldn't be in that business ??? He definitely has a 'tell it like it is' approach.

As for the moderators/owners of that site - they most certainly DO monitor and reprimand and ban people, but their tolerance levels are definitely higher than ours here. Not always good, but that's the way they operate.

I haven't been over there in a while, I've just been way, way too busy to spend the extra time over there.

If nothing else, the original (re)post ought to serve as a reminder that while individual consumers/debtors understandably take this stuff VERY personally; CA's don't...it truly is just a job for them.

As such, wasting time on the phone; trying to explain your "problem" or actually thinking that the person on the other end of the line actually cares is is a complete waste of time.

They don't care...they aren't supposed to care.

I would say that the only time you might find this not to be true is when you are dealing with a small, local, collector who might really have both a heart and a brain (might even be your next door neighbor). :)

I do think that those struggling with CA's should take a call once in a while (to avoid appearing to be hiding) but except for those well versed in dealing with CA's; it's probably best to work from your own "script" (the KISS principle should always be employed as well).

I noticed a thread made by that same poster, How to negotiate a settlement. It seems helpful, but I was able to negotiate a settlement by simply calling a CA out of the blue, "I only have this much.... Can you have it deleted?!"

I guess I had a unique situation as since I moved so much, they probably never expected to ever hear from me.

I'm in a situation where I'd rather eat then pay for telephone service.

I think society in general takes services like this for granted. In order to get a job, you need a phone. In order to get a lot of services, you need a phone.

I can't even get free credit monitoring without a telephone. :(

I am easily bully'd over the telephone though, so in a lot of ways I am glad I do not have one.

Note: Before anyone inquires, my landlord provides my net service as part of my rent. I am really glad to have it!!

StressPot xdancex