eviction summons in FL

skyygirl

I owe for Dec. Rent, which is $799 plus a $79 late fee. I just don't have the money due to a downturn in business. This is the last month of an 18 month lease. Neither party has submitted a 30 day notice - my hope was to submit one on Jan 1 to move out at the end of Jan.

In reading over the summons, it states on Nov. 9, a 3 day was delivered & sum owed is $1677,with no breakdown. This is wrong-I was late in Nov. But that 3 day was served on 11/7 & I paid it in full. Further, Exhibit B in the summons is a 3 day dated 12/12 but states as being served on Nov. 9!

You can guess what happened-the summons is stating that I am 2 months behind. Does this buy me any time? I am not trying to get out of paying Dec. Rent but am trying buy some time till I get the funds.

How are you trying to buy time? By hoping to out maneuver them in court?

Renter's rights vary considerably depending on what state you're in, and I don't know much about Florida. But the law is almost always heavily skewed in favor of the tenant. Landlords loathe to evict people, especially for nonpayment (tearing up the place or creating a health/safety issue is another matter), because it's expensive and takes months to do.

What kind of luck have you had with discussing the matter with them? Is it an independent landlord or a management company that you're dealing with? Assuming that you haven't been habitually late, you might be surprised at how flexible they are even in light of the legal paperwork thrown your way already.