CA inquiry

Aerovette

I apparently am terrible at the search function on thsi site, so I will ask. Can a CA do a hard pull on my credit without validation? I had a CA that began hounding me about a year ago and then disappeared, however, they did a pull. It would seem if they could not confirm the debt was mine, they have no right to do a pull. Thoughts? I don't care about disputing and waking the sleeping giant because the alleged debt is beyond the SOL. If that is what I need to do, I will, but if they violated FDCPA, I would not mind collecting either.

Search for permissable purpose.

The "permissable" part of that has yet to be established since there has been no proof provided that they own the debt. Not to mention that when the pull was done, it was already beyond the SOL. It seems if they bought the debt, they have information on the account to begin collection activity. What does the CR provide them that they do not already have? Perhaps my ability to pay? If that is the case, they need to make sure it is MINE before they determine my ability to pay.

I would say if you DV'd in a timely fashion and no response validating the debt but later had a pull there was no permisable perpose, and would be considered further collection activity, If the DV (if any at all) was untimely then depending on your fine print agreement w/ your OC probably permissable. Thinking further even w/ a timely DV depending on your agreement w/ OC permissible, but violation as continued collection activity.