No Bill but already sent to collections

collections suck

I have been in contact with BC/BS. I did not report the accident because I did not want our insurance premiums to go up. The car was worth basically nothing so there was no reason to report it and there were no other cars involved nor anyone hurt. My son actually went to the ER a couple days after the accident because he was having headaches but he was not hurting or needing medical attention when the accident happened...so we thought just to be safe...we had an MRI done a couple days later.

My whole post is gone except for that one paragraph. I spent an hour trying to explain what happened and get advice so I will try to ask again and hope it goes through this time...

My son went to the ER a month ago. He presented our health insurance card and was told by the hospital that our health insurance would be billed. Long story short...my son went to the ER a couple days after he had an accident with his car. He got an MRI because he was having headaches. We did not report this to our car insurance company because the accident only involved our son and his car...no one else involved. His car was worth next to nothing and he was not injured so we decided not to report the accident because we didn't want our rates to increase. We thought we would just suck the cost of the car up ourselves and not get Geico involved.

I received a claim form from the hospital 2 weeks ago...just a claim form...nothing else...no letter of explanation or anything. I put it aside because I knew our insurance (BC/BS) was being billed for his MRI. After getting the blank claim form from the hospital I did receive and EOB from BC/BS stating that they were not going to pay the claim because it was accident related...that we needed to bill Geico.

Fasr forward...today I received a letter from a collection agency telling us that this bill has been turned over to them for collections. We have never once even received a bill from the hospital nor any late notices AT ALL...and now it's in collections already. I don't understand that??? We were never even given the chance to speak with the hospital's billing department or anything about this bill...because we thought it was being paid by our insurance coverage. Is this legal and what can we do about this??? We have no notices at all, no phone calls, no nothing...just a blank claim form sent to us from the hospital. Our son had the MRI done 5 weeks ago.

HELP...

Medical bills cause more “credit” issues than almost any other….the whole process is a mess.

Moving on…a medical provider isn’t obligated to bill an insurance company at all. Technically, payment is due from the patient in full at the time service is rendered…anything beyond that is a favor and a provider/hospital can send an account to a collection agency five minutes after treatment is rendered if they wanted to do so.

Insurance companies have the right to make sure that the primary insurance company pays what they are obligated to pay before a secondary insurance company has to pay – it’s not up to the consumer. Since he was in an accident and since his headaches seem to be related; he/you should have/must file with the auto insurance company first because they have the primary obligation.

I’d recommend that you…

File a claim with the auto insurance company.

Concurrent with that, call the medical provider and explain what happened and that you are trying to take care of everything and ask them to pull the account back from the collector…get hold of someone with some real authority (not just some office manager type but someone who has the power to actually make a decision)…this may not work but it’s worth a shot.

Do that tomorrow (or Monday at the latest) and let us know how it works out.

Those with more experience and/or more recent experience with medical and insurance matters may offer some better advice but what I said above is at least my understanding of things.