I sent my letters, now what?

moonwife

Hi all.

Ok, I have started off my process by sending letters to Equifax. I did this about a month ago and I have a couple of questions about what next...

1) For me, it's been over 30 days. Shouldn't I hear back from Equifax? And if not, what do I do? Send them a letter saying "Hey, you've had your time now tell me whats up"??

2) As a result of my letter, I got a few collection agencies get my new info and send me new collections letters. They all say "Our debt is valid so pay us", do they have to provide any proof? Are they just scrambling because they know I am disputing it?

3) One of the letters is actually from Western Dental, which is a skeezy chain discount dental place. I walked out of the place before their service but they charged me. Now the collection agency is claiming it. In this case, does anyone know if I have to go all the way back to Western Dental to get them to fix it and how does an original debtor do that?

Thanks guys. :)

p.s.

What is the best way to order credit reports? I've read around here and it seems like people are NOT very fond of the triple advantage thing or the score from Freecreditreport.com, but if we go to each one individually it costs an arm and a leg and it's a pain to keep track of.

UPDATE!!!

I got my report back from experian and I got five negative TLs removed!!!!!!!!!!!!! WOOT!!!!!!!!!

I am assuming that with that and my paying off my car that I will see some improvement!!!

Do I need to contact the other CRAs to get them to remove the same items or will they automatically be removed?

Hi all.

Ok, I have started off my process by sending letters to Equifax. I did this about a month ago and I have a couple of questions about what next...

1) For me, it's been over 30 days. Shouldn't I hear back from Equifax? And if not, what do I do? Send them a letter saying "Hey, you've had your time now tell me whats up"??

EQ will notify you of the results & send you a letter or email.

2) As a result of my letter, I got a few collection agencies get my new info and send me new collections letters. They all say "Our debt is valid so pay us", do they have to provide any proof? Are they just scrambling because they know I am disputing it?

You made yourself available by begining the dispute process. No telling what else will come through. However, send a DV to all collection agencies. Don't pay a dime until you are sure that the debt is yours & that it is still within the SOL -- 4 years here in california. They are scrambling because you opened the can of worms!

3) One of the letters is actually from Western Dental, which is a skeezy chain discount dental place. I walked out of the place before their service but they charged me. Now the collection agency is claiming it. In this case, does anyone know if I have to go all the way back to Western Dental to get them to fix it and how does an original debtor do that?

Yeah, try to fix the situation with Western Dental themselves. If they say no, then negotiate with the collection agency for a PFD, if they accept it.

But, I'm just a beginner, maybe others can chip in and inform the both of us!

p.s.

What is the best way to order credit reports? I've read around here and it seems like people are NOT very fond of the triple advantage thing or the score from Freecreditreport.com, but if we go to each one individually it costs an arm and a leg and it's a pain to keep track of.

annualcreditreport.com. Or if you have been denied credit in the last 60 days, call the number on the letters for your report.

As a person who has sent well over 100 disputes to each CRA, I can tell you to not expect miracles (although some people get them). At the end of 30 days I usually get on horn and talk to the CRAs. They tell me outright if they are finished or not. If they get an extension, they send me a letter notifying me of that.

However, credit repair is a long arduous process in which I am ready to send out my next batch the moment I get the results back (and I kept doing it month after month).

As for buying a credit report, I have never paid for one. If your credit is in shambles, then you can get one for free because negative changes occur to it all the time. All you have to do is lie to a computer. The worst thing that can happen is that a machine tells you no.