Dang it, there's $960.00 on my credit card today

Chester P. Dexter

Better than the $1,020.00 it was projected to be. Different tooth = different price for emergency root canal.

Good reason to keep some credit available, my friends: the weekend toothache that turns immediately into an afternoon appointment for a root canal.

I was tearing my hair out wondering how I could come up with that cash on the spot. Then the receptionist pleasantly mentioned that they take all major credit cards.

See, here's the thing: If you have ANY crap-azz dental insurance, even one that won't pay, they'll bill it, and then bill you, and you can pay and pay forever, or in some cases people don't pay... but if you don't have insurance, it's payment on the spot or tough luck for your tooth, kiss it goodbye. No payment, no service.

Our insurance (if you call it that) is more like we submit the paid bill and the employers reimburses. Which leaves me right back where I was: How to come up with the cash on the spot. I was very glad to have that available credit, and that's one reason I like to build up credit. For emergencies.

We'll get reimbursed almost immediately but without the ability to pay, I'd be out a tooth right now, I guess!

That sucks, but I'm glad everything worked out. I hear ya about paying and keep paying. With my insurance company: Estimate the bill, I pay, then whatever the estimation was (correct or incorrect), I have to pay.

So sometimes it's a surprise in the mail for some outstanding balance I have to pay :\.

Hence, why I hate going to the doc. or dentist.

Yes, it's good that everything worked out for you.

I used to have dental insurance. Once upon a time when I was working. (Retired 3-1/2 years ago).

Now that I am retired, I can't afford the insurance. And now with the current financial mess, can't afford the dental visits either. Never knew how much these dental costs were before or at least didn't pay much attention to them because the basics were completely covered. Boy were we spoiled.

I hope it all works out for you. Root canals are brutal. I had no insurance a few years back and called my dentist because of what looked like a lesion (I chewed tobacco for a few years when I played collegiate rugby). Long story short, the tooth was pulled the same day and I needed an implant- the latent result of a middle school football collision. $3400 bill and my dentist does not take credit cards. Fortunately I had $1400 to pay cash immediately and then paid him $100/month for the next 20 months.

These things creep up unexpectedly. Living paycheck to paycheck with no reserves is dangerous. I've known my dentist since I was 8 years old so he worked with me. I don't think he would have let me make payments if that wasn't the case.

Ohhh!!! I hear ya on that root canal! I have to go in to get one done next week Monday and they let me know that my portion of the copay was $260. Although I put aside some money for my medical reimbursement account, I'm still paying the damn thing. At least I don't have to pay anything for the crown they're putting in afterwards. :D