CA Fees

mj1223

I had a medical debt that I paid directly to the provider. Recently when I looked at my credit report I saw that there was a debt listed by a collection agency. When I called the collection agency about this I was informed that even though I had paid off the medical debt in full to the provider there are still fees owed to the collection agency. I had never reciecved anything from the collection agency on this and now they are calling me all the time for $50 in fees they say I owe them.

Do I owe them these fees?

Its possible that the medical provider has something in the contract you signed with them that says that you are responsible for any "collection costs", but, if it were me, I'd take the attitude that I never had a contract with the CA and therefore do not owe them money.

Send them a "cease and desist" letter, CMRRR.

This may be inviting them to sue you...but...if they continue to harass you after getting the letter, they will have violated the FDCPA which mean you can sue them in return.

I had a medical debt that I paid directly to the provider. Recently when I looked at my credit report I saw that there was a debt listed by a collection agency. When I called the collection agency about this I was informed that even though I had paid off the medical debt in full to the provider there are still fees owed to the collection agency. I had never reciecved anything from the collection agency on this and now they are calling me all the time for $50 in fees they say I owe them.

Do I owe them these fees?

You do not owe the fees if you never paid the CA. Did you pay ALL the money to the OC? If you paid only to the OC, then the CA has no claim to anything