asset except... account not found

skatemore

i have a capital one account on my credit report that shows up as a charge off...

i havent made a payment on this account for a long period of time... maybe 5 years. ( young and dumb)

i called capital one a week ago to settle this account.. they transfered me to asset exceptance, who cannot find my account. they don't have any info on the account at all.

so i go back through the loop and call capital one again.. telling them that it is a charge off and that asset does not have my account... i get transfered around to about 4 people, and then end up on the line with the recovery dep. who just gives me the number to asset excep. even after i told him what had happened.

asset just keeps telling me that my account " may be downloading into our system" and that they'll call me when they find it. ... it has been a week... .they must have a rather large system for a d/l to take that long.

i have searched this forum and haven't found any info on lost accounts. i need to get this taken care of. anyone have any advice?

If the account is truly "lost", then you should be able to make a case for removal from your credit report. They can't report negative information without some kind of documentation. The hassle involves the dispute process, where you get them to admit this and remove it.