cwodew

My father forged my name. Help.

Another question:

In the early 90's my father took out a discover card in my name and also falsified my signature on half of my financial aid documents. He also owed the IRS upwards of $20,000. I did not find out about the discover card until the mid 90's and was able to have it removed from my credit report. He has denied that he did this. I thought that my financial aid had been taken care of and nothing is on my credit report. However after my father had a stroke we went through his apt and found several documents, ss info, and personal info of mine. This year my taxes were garnished and after following up there is still debt that I owe the government for financial aid. I have contacted the US Dept of Education to get the original documents and find out what exactly should and do I owe. After calling several agencies and writing letters I have proof that the majority of the fin. aid documents have my name forged in my father's penmenship. I tried to work with finan. aid and the credit agencies to no avail. Now they have atatched a garnishment and will take 80% of anything I make. I have now hired and attourney and accountant, but we are still having problems finding the right people and the right amount. Not to mention trying to file a complaint for a forgery/identity theft that happened over fifteen years ago. My father had a stroke ,has NO assets and still denys everything. He receives his tax rebate checks even though he no longer pays taxes and they wrote the 20,000 off due to disability. Has anyone had any dealings with the US Dept of Education or their creditors or identity theft with a parent? Had anyone filed a complaint against a parent? Any advice would be appreciated!

Another question:

This year my taxes were garnished

Tax refunds don't get garnished. They get intercepted. Additionally, you get a letter from the Treasury Dept, notifying you of the intercept, they have to include the name of the entity that received the intercept, the amount of the intercept and the date the intercept occurred.

Now they have atatched a garnishment and will take 80% of anything I make.

Who is "they"? The collection agencies? A judge? An attorney? I'm curious as to how a garnishment was successfully attached to your wages. Do you have proof of this attachment? Did you ever receive anything from the court in your jurisdiction? If you never received a summons or anything, anything at all from the courts because you moved and no one knows where you are, then it only stands to reason that they wouldn't know who your current employer is either. They wouldn't have any idea of where to send court forms to, which an employer has to fill out to confirm that the wage earner is employed with them and how much they make etc.

Some states like PA, for example, have state laws which make it illegal to seek wage garnishments for anything except Alimony and Child support. Some states include student loans to the exception list.

Should a wage garnishment actually go through, there are certain laws (vary from state to state) that protect someone when their wages are about to be garnished due to a judgment for a bad debt.

In order to avoid one having their entire paycheck garnished, leaving the person with no means to sustain a living, protections were put in place to ensure that said garnishment would not cause a true financial hardship.

There are different formulas that are used depending on the jurisdiction and the laws that apply. Some go by a percentage based on local area poverty level guidelines.

Example: The wage earner's total monthly income falls 125% below the income guidelines for the poverty level in the wage earners area, then the garnishment can be no more than XXX% OR $XX of the wage earners income. If the total monthly income is well above the poverty level, then the garnishment can be for a much higher percentage. A percentage can also be based upon living expenses. Payments would also be based on how often the wage earner gets paid.

So you see, there's a lot to read here on the forums. Do a search on Garnishments, judgments and SOL's for your state.

Sorry for such a long post. I had other points to make, but was limited in my space here. You really do need to research this forum and figure out what your rights are regarding the garnishment.

You are a victim of Identity Theft and should take all the typical steps available to any victim. This includes filing Police Reports (or other valid ID Theft reports, see the FCRA 1681a, Subsection 603(q) for details), the FTC affidavit and any other requested, necessary report. Submit these documents along with proof of your identity and a letter detailing which accounts/transactions resulted from the crime. Search the internet and your local Police department for information. Many depts have pre-printed info already available.

You may also wish to read your state's laws on ID Theft to see if they offer additional protection.

I agree with Ahntara. I know it's painful. I know you feel sorry for your father and his circumstances right now. But he robbed you. And bottom line, you can't afford what he did to you.

Please do contact the police about this matter. I'm so sorry.

FEDERAL LAW: http://www.bcsalliance.com/ccpa_15usc1673.html

UNITED STATES CODE: TITLE 15, CHAPTER 41, SUBCHAPTER II

ยง 1673. Restriction on garnishment

(a) Maximum allowable garnishment

Except as provided in subsection (B) of this section and in section 1675 of this title, the maximum part of the aggregate disposable earnings of an individual for any workweek which is subjected to garnishment may not exceed

(1) 25 per centum of his disposable earnings for that week, or

(2) the amount by which his disposable earnings for that week exceed thirty times the Federal minimum hourly wage prescribed by section 206 (a)(1) of title 29 in effect at the time the earnings are payable,

whichever is less. In the case of earnings for any pay period other than a week, the Secretary of Labor shall by regulation prescribe a multiple of the Federal minimum hourly wage equivalent in effect to that set forth in paragraph

Illinois Wage Garnishment

The maximum part of an individual's disposable earnings for the work week that can be garnished is the greater of:

1. 15% of the disposable earnings; or

2. The amount of the disposable earnings that exceed 45 times the federal minimum hourly wage.

To be clear, there are state & federal "maximums" on garnishment. The lessor of either fed or state is the max they can take.

ask to speak with a ombudman, if you provide them with proof of what happened they are supposed to look into it,( they are supposed to be YOUR advocates) , as with any goverment dept, this may take awhile.

get all papers/records you can and copy/send them to the Ombudsman,

including several copies of your dads signature and yours.

good luck, but dont expect it will happen very quickly,

ask to speak with a ombudman, if you provide them with proof of what happened they are supposed to look into it,( they are supposed to be YOUR advocates) , as with any goverment dept, this may take awhile.

get all papers/records you can and copy/send them to the Ombudsman,

including several copies of your dads signature and yours.

good luck, but dont expect it will happen very quickly,

If you contact your Student Ombusman at the Dept of Education ( the ones who will be garnising your taxes for student loans) they can put a "hold" on your account( means they wont take your taxes or wages) until they investigate,

DOE took ours ( taxes)for 5 YEARS before we found out about the Ombudsman, we had years and years of sending paperwork just to be ignored! , two weeks later not only was it resolved we got back ALL our taxes plus interest and it was gone from our CR's right away

Hello. I was wondering if anyone could help me. My good friends father just passed on last week. I am making a memorial card for him as a gift to honor his Fathers memory. I wanted to include his Fathers name in armenian text/characters. If anyone can direct me to a service that translates names and provides the text as a jpg file on a transparent background? Naturally I would be willing to pay a fair price for this. His name was Hrach. Thank you

Hello. I was wondering if anyone could help me. My good friends father just passed on last week. I am making a memorial card for him as a gift to honor his Fathers memory. I wanted to include his Fathers name in armenian text/characters. If anyone can direct me to a service that translates names and provides the text as a jpg file on a transparent background? Naturally I would be willing to pay a fair price for this. His name was Hrach. Thank you

http://free-translation.imtranslator.net/default.asp?ldr=en/de&loc=en

this site is a online translator,

you write the text and it will translate to what you want, you can also hear the text,, its cool..

I'm back. I had to do a lot of research and back track to get the original paperwork which did have my name in my father's handwriting. In 2008 I hired a lawyer and an accountant to look over the information that I was able to obtain and follow up on questions that I wasn't able to get answered from both the credit agencies and the IRS. I wanted to straighten this out but did not want to start paying on anything without knowing the correct amount which no one can tell me including the IRS. The lawyer and the accountant went through the same thing. As soon as they found out the correct agency to contact and sent them a letter the debt would be sold or passed on to someone else. I called the state of Georgia to file charges against my father, but realized at this point in time I just want to move on and want it over with. The longer I spend prosecuting my father etc the more I am being held back by this mess. I have focused on getting this straight and recently received a letter from an attorney here which my attorney responded to. Yesterday I received notice of a court date. I am so excited that the end of this mess is near. Thank all of you for your advice and I will let you know how it is on the other side. As for my credit report it is perfect!

Sounds a lot like a situation I was in, and am still dealing with. Congrats on getting a court date! http://www.creditinfocenter.com/forums/1125227-post21.html

I read a lot of posts on this board before starting the hard work of removing the frauds on my CR, and what I found is that the ID theft departments suck. You need to provoke their legal dept into taking your claims seriously before getting resolution.

Consulate may also be able to help. I have no numbers or addresses but I believe in California here are many armenian resources.

Hope that helps. Shalom Shalom.

taken care of.

It is sad when you discover that a family member has committed crimes against you. It happens frequently because frankly we tend to trust family members.

The fed is not going to let up but SoL on the ID theft may apply.

I know it is tough to drop a dime on a relative but it has to be done.