College Tuition Question....

Shae

Ok, so I understand this is the student loan section. I am very confused and just am gonna get right into my story. :confused:

To make a long story short...I was enrolled in college about 9 years ago, ex-step-dad (responsible party as I was only 17 years old when starting school there) never paid. I was kicked out. Never took finals of that first semester, evicted from dorms, etc. Moved back home. Couple of years later. Was contacted by school. Set up payment plan. Fell on hard times. Stopped paying. School sent account to collections. I filed bankruptcy in 2004 due to this on top of other things (medical bills etc.). (Other collection agency was reporting, but removed themself. Now 5 years after bankrupty, a different collection agency is contacting me regarding this. My questions before I call them back are:

This is not a student loan, I know, so does this fall under statute of limitations? Its been 9 years since I enrolled there and 8 since I've even been there.

Apologies, if this is the wrong section. Any help is appreciated.

Was the school debt included in the BK?

Yes it was.

However, I went to this particular collection agency's website and it said something about student loans not being "dischargeable." Thats why I'm confused. Company collects student loans, but this was not a student loan.

Have you explained to the CA that it's not a student loan and that the debt was discharded in your BK? It could be an oversight on their part and they may not know about the BK. Send a letter to the CA explaining the above.

You may also want to search the Bankruptcy forum for more info.

I'd send a lette to the CA explaining that it was not a student loan and was discharged as part of the bankruptcy. Send it CMRRR. If you have to head back to federal court and ask for the court to enforce the permanent injunction, this letter will increase the likelihood of recovering damages from the CA.