Experian doesn't accept disputes by mail??

QM07

I signed up for Identity Guard for a free trial to see my credit reports with the three bureaus. Under their dispute center they have addresses for Equifax, and TransUnion, but nothing for Experian. In the address box it says "Experian does not accept disputes via mail"

What's up with that LOL?

Federal law requires that they accept disputes by mail. The FCRA specifies that they must respond to any dispute from the consumer. If that happens to be by mail, then they can't ignore it.

Further the FCRA requires that the bureau respond to the dispute in writing. If you sent your dispute by mail and did not give them an e-mail address then they have to respond by postal.

Experian seems to be becoming more and more of a liability to the lending system than an aid. Most car dealers don't even look at Experian anymore because its reports are so inaccurate. One researcheer said Experian is about four times more likely than the other bureaus to have serious inaccuracies due to their very lax reporting requirements.

Experian seems to be becoming more and more of a liability to the lending system than an aid. Most car dealers don't even look at Experian anymore because its reports are so inaccurate. One researcheer said Experian is about four times more likely than the other bureaus to have serious inaccuracies due to their very lax reporting requirements.

It would make sense, they are the consumers devil! It seems to me they are really an advocate for the "bad guys"

As a side note, from personal experience with sending in a written dispute to EX, you really need to make sure you send in a copy of your photo ID, a copy of your SSN and now, TWO copies of utility bills. I just got a letter back from them stating that they did not have enough documentation from me to prove my identity. I'll have to try it again. Also, send CMRRR.

you really need to make sure you send in a copy of your photo ID, a copy of your SSN and now, TWO copies of utility bills.

Oh horse poop. That is just a delay tactic. The FCRA says that an Identity Theft victim need only show a state issued identification card as proof of identity. To think a person filing a simply accuracy dispute should be held to a higher standard than a person being defrauded is simply too stupid to comprehend.

What I do is I have a stack of letterhead with my State issued id photocopied into the lower right corner of the page. I put my letter on that and send it in. By having the copy of the ID integrated into the page, they can't really say I didn't send it or that it was "lost."

I too got one of those stupid letters asking for utility bills. I just carried it over to my attorney and he took care of it. I got a nice $500 check (lawyer got the other $500) for settling the FCRA violation claim. And the problem I had asked to be corrected was promptly fixed.

I sent two letters disputing an acct. "not mine" by registered mail 11/15/08. I didn't get a reply with the first letter so I sent another by registered mail 1/6/09 telling them this is my second attempt disputing said acct. thats "not mine" and did'nt get a response until 2/27/09 and the report was dated 2/19/09. 30 days is the time frame in which they legally have to respond, right? and they said they completed investigating the item I disputed with the sources of the information, for the results they put the name of the CA and half of the acct. # as it was on my CR and said it remains! They did'nt do ****! Is it time to sue? or threaten to sue? Do you have a sample letter for this situation?

Thanks!

dsicily

I'm thinking since the 30 days are up a MOV is not even the question anymore, it has been long over 30 days if you add in the first letter they didn't respond to plus 30 more days after the second letter finally sending their report that they investigated by using that computer investigation application. I prepared a threatening letter because They're taking me for a fool! What do I have to lose?

Thanks!

dsicily

• 1 month later...

The most current mailing address for Experian disputes I was able to google as of 04/28/09 is:

Experian

P.O. Box 9532

Allen TX 75013

It came from someone who just verified is as accurate.

P.S., on a simple mail in dispute do you HAVE to send in a copy of your Drivers license? Is that by law?

METHUSS could you elaborate on what the violation was regarding the utility bill request from the CRA?

Federal law requires that they accept disputes by mail. The FCRA specifies that they must respond to any dispute from the consumer. If that happens to be by mail, then they can't ignore it.

Further the FCRA requires that the bureau respond to the dispute in writing. If you sent your dispute by mail and did not give them an e-mail address then they have to respond by postal.

I just bought a new(er) car and I persuaded them to ignore my EX score because it's so different from my other two scores. It helped that I had comments on my EX CR on the accounts that I disputed.

Of course, it may have helped more that the dealers now really, really want to sell cars.

• 3 weeks later...

This address worked for disputes for me,

Experian

P.O. Box 9532

Allen TX 75013

But I got the generic, we need copies of two utlity bills to verify identity..

I sent in name, address, last four of ssn, copy of DL and date of report!

FCRA violation?

what if one has no utilities in their name, then what do they expect!

same here,, do you have internet? phone, cell even, LOL I am thinking of sending a copy of the envelope they sent me, see I must live here I got your letter

FWIW I did my disputes with them via mail a few months ago and it was fine.

The odd thing was that I also did my husbands and they sent his back asking for identity verification, we sent in a copy of his drivers license. They did not ask for identity verification for me. I assume it's random and probably aimed to deter disputes. But we did it anyways and ended up getting a few lines removed off his CR as well.

FWIW I did my disputes with them via mail a few months ago and it was fine.

The odd thing was that I also did my husbands and they sent his back asking for identity verification, we sent in a copy of his drivers license. They did not ask for identity verification for me. I assume it's random and probably aimed to deter disputes. But we did it anyways and ended up getting a few lines removed off his CR as well.

at least it worked for you!!:rolleyes: i tried it by mail and they wanted id, copys of utility bills like previously stated in this thread. but when i went to thier web site i disputed everything online and got it all corrected within a week.:hmm:

This address worked for disputes for me,

Experian

P.O. Box 9532

Allen TX 75013

But I got the generic, we need copies of two utlity bills to verify identity..

I sent in name, address, last four of ssn, copy of DL and date of report!

FCRA violation?

No just a stall tactic from the Evil Greedy bastards of the CRA World-Experian !!

I tried disputing the only negative TL's on all 3 of my CR's. My TU and EQ are completely clean but my EX has 3 30 day late school loans from 1996 and 2002. I was in school at the time and filed an in school deferment but Sallie mae still reported it. I also have 17 EX inquries and I still have a low 700 score with EX. I was trying to dipute online because that worked really well with my last two baddies including these school loans on my TU and EQ CR but EX wouldn't let me dispute online unless I bought an $11.95 CR from them to get the Investigation # WTH :confused: Also old credit investigation #'s wouldn't work from old EX CR !!!!

I sent two letters disputing an acct. "not mine" by registered mail 11/15/08. I didn't get a reply with the first letter so I sent another by registered mail 1/6/09 telling them this is my second attempt disputing said acct. thats "not mine" and did'nt get a response until 2/27/09 and the report was dated 2/19/09. 30 days is the time frame in which they legally have to respond, right? and they said they completed investigating the item I disputed with the sources of the information, for the results they put the name of the CA and half of the acct. # as it was on my CR and said it remains! They did'nt do ****! Is it time to sue? or threaten to sue? Do you have a sample letter for this situation?

Thanks!

dsicily

Only threaten to sue if you really mean it ! The bottom line is that they failed to notify you with the 30 days and thats a violation so you basically send them a letter saying " please send me my $1,000 for your violation of the FCRA ! Thank you and have a great day you Demon Maggots ! " If you have all your documentation and proof they received your letter and responded when you say they did then you would win hands down in court if they even showed up :)

No just a stall tactic from the Evil Greedy bastards of the CRA World-Experian !!

Yep. Asking for identification is a typical Experian stall tactic. They did it with me after accepting several other mailed in disputes. Now, suddenly, the disputes don't seem like they are done by me? I just sent them copies of my DL and SS card. I have heard of somebody who has them photocopied (or something like that) on the stationery that they use for disputes.

Yep. Asking for identification is a typical Experian stall tactic. They did it with me after accepting several other mailed in disputes. Now, suddenly, the disputes don't seem like they are done by me? I just sent them copies of my DL and SS card. I have heard of somebody who has them photocopied (or something like that) on the stationery that they use for disputes.

And they did it with me ONCE !!!!! Then I just started sending the info they asked for and what could they do then ? Ughhhhhh EX I cannot stand !!!!

And they did it with me ONCE !!!!! Then I just started sending the info they asked for and what could they do then ? Ughhhhhh EX I cannot stand !!!!

I've given up on disputing the last 2 or 3 things on EX. They're mostly due to drop off by the end of the year. What I'm concentrating on now is paying down the credit cards. My card usage is basically the reason that the TU and EQ scores are in the high 600s rather than 700. I expect before the end of the year without disputing anything those credit scores will be in the mid-700s and EX will be whatever it is (but it won't have any negatives). I will dispute them and raise hell if EX doesn't remove them when they're supposed to. :rollingpin:::thunderously:: Though, that it one thing they've been good about.