Credit Monitoring referrals?

Hi everyone! :)

I was going to go ahead and purchase a monitoring and FICO service tonight online, after reading the great comparisons and lists on CIC... but then I thought that it might be better to compare apples to apples; meaning it looks like many of them do the same "on paper" but... referrals and true experiences from all of you here on CIC mean the most!

So, who here can offer me some ideas and suggestions on which type of service would be best for my needs? I have a few requirements I'll list, and hopefully something out there will come close, if not perfect! I was going to simply go with the big name, freecreditreport.com (a lot of advertising on TV and also a link from the home page right here on CIC... but I'm not sold yet)

What I am most concerned about and looking for is...

- ALL Three scores/complete reports

- 24/7 ability to log-on and look at my complete credit history as well as most current report (and ability to download the information to my hard drive)

- The closest FICO scoring model I can get, which means the furthest from FAKO (and accesss to reduced cost FICO scores)

- Email/Text Message alerts of activity or any changes that effect my credit

- Maybe some sort of spousal discount?

- Comprehensive credit management tips, or software, or explanations etc

- AFFORDABLE and User-Friendly with good customer service! :)

THANKS EVERYONE!!! All you CIC members with those scores in your signature, post away!! I'm all ears :mrgreen:

Hey Fico!

I will be soon getting the Chase Protection b/c (at this moment) Chase is updating all of the WaMu customer accounts.

On this website, people have posted pretty good things about the Chase Protection service, and you don't have to be member to have it.

Again, though - I don't know about the customer service b/c I haven't had my account activated yet (will be able to access it tomorrow from Chase).

I believe it's $12-$15 a month. Hope this helps out some with your search...

The only ones that I have tried have been citibank's identity monitor and freecreditreport.com.

Both of them were OK. I think citibank's scoring, credit expert score, is closer to the myFICO.com score, unless they both happened to be the same scoring models.

freecreditreport.com allows you to download your credit file onto your hard drive as a PDF while identity monitor does not.

I am not sure about the text alerts.

I'd like some more current info as well. Was utilizing TU's TrueCredit, but they have started restricting your ability to pull reports. Now you can only get "updates" once a month. In other words, you don't get new reports anymore, you just get a page that informs you there are no "updates" to your credit report.

Hey Fico!

I will be soon getting the Chase Protection b/c (at this moment) Chase is updating all of the WaMu customer accounts.

On this website, people have posted pretty good things about the Chase Protection service, and you don't have to be member to have it.

Again, though - I don't know about the customer service b/c I haven't had my account activated yet (will be able to access it tomorrow from Chase).

I believe it's $12-$15 a month. Hope this helps out some with your search...

Thanks a lot, I actually am a member of Chase... but do you know how many/which of the points I mentioned in my first post this plan covers?

The only ones that I have tried have been citibank's identity monitor and freecreditreport.com.

Both of them were OK. I think citibank's scoring, credit expert score, is closer to the myFICO.com score, unless they both happened to be the same scoring models.

freecreditreport.com allows you to download your credit file onto your hard drive as a PDF while identity monitor does not.

I am not sure about the text alerts.

I am also a member of Citi Bank... and I suppose downloadable PDF's are paramount, because I can always print to PDF and save the files that way perhaps... Thanks a lot for your response! Any others? I'm definitely getting it this week, so I am very appreciative of your help! :)

Thanks a lot, I actually am a member of Chase... but do you know how many/which of the points I mentioned in my first post this plan covers?

I believe it explains/lists the benefits on the website. Chase Protection Program.

I'm going to check it out since they acquired my WaMu CC account.

Go to www.annualcreditreports.com Order your free reports. Find something to dispute. Get another free report with the results of the dispute.

Rinse, lather, repeat...

Don't cost you a dime, and the reports are 100% current and accurate...and you won't be mislead by being bombarded with FAKO credit scores.

That's a good idea... since I'm not due again for my annual free governemtn sponsored report until this summer.

There is a maximum of 2 things on my report from that past 5 years I would want to dispite, but I've heard it is the cardinal rule not to dispute anything online since it makes it easier for the other side - how would I go about making a dispute which would open up my annual report for another review/print? Since I viewed it last summer, would I still be eligible?

Thanks again! :)

PS WillingToCope: Is the Annual Credit Report from the Gov a good way to get REAL FICO scores (you mentioned the FAKO's from others) or would I have to go to myfico.com as the only real fico source?

Nothing about disputing online makes it easier for the other side. You may want to dispute something in writing (CMRRR) so that you have evidence you did it, but other than that, you stand a better chance of getting your dispute entered accurately if you do it yourself, online, rather than relying on some miminum wage data entry person to ready your letter and translate it into the appropriate code.

If, when you dispute on line, you're given a "reference number", that will get you your free report.

• Like 1

myfico.com is the only source for real fico score.

Thanks a lot!If it wasn't for people like you and THIS forum, I would have had no idea! Sometime this/next year I would have gone into buy a car blind in a way, thinking I had prime credit ratings, until they slapped me with some sort of higher rate.

Thanks again :)

PS: MyFico says "2 Free Equifax Reports" but my cards and loans report to all 3 CRA's? So I am limited as a consumer to only one CRA FICO? :confused:

Also, MyFico is 30% off right now :)

bump ;)

After reading a few linked articles from MyFICO, and also the other testimonials here are FAKO's not being anything like a "REAL FICO" I am wondering why I would ever subscribe to any service other than MyFICO? (The only disadvantage is that MyFICO doesn't have any comprehensive plans that would allow me to check all 3 reports and all 3 FICO's for one price :( Any thoughts?)

Well,

a. There is NO place you can buy reports / scores that anyone who is going to lend you money will use to make that decesion. Even myFICO gives you a "consumer" score (almost like a FICO Bank Card score).

2. Your reports do not change daily. All creditors reports monthly, albeit at different times. Monthly reports are close enough for "monitoring" purposes.

XVIII. there is no place...period...to get accurate, up to date, reports from all three CRAs with any kind of score that is meaningful.

Save your money. Read my signature...

Well,

a. There is NO place you can buy reports / scores that anyone who is going to lend you money will use to make that decesion. Even myFICO gives you a "consumer" score (almost like a FICO Bank Card score).

2. Your reports do not change daily. All creditors reports monthly, albeit at different times. Monthly reports are close enough for "monitoring" purposes.

XVIII. there is no place...period...to get accurate, up to date, reports from all three CRAs with any kind of score that is meaningful.

Save your money. Read my signature...

Wow, that's not something they'll tell you on their website, ha. They make it sound as if you don't go by their score, you're doomed to riding in the car from the fcr.com commercials.

Thanks for your sound advice as always. The only thing I'm concerned with isn't the actual FICO (since it seems impossible to truly aquire) buy the reports and accruacy of everything on them. Basically, the thorn in my side since last year that I keep harping on, is an apartment complex that is listed as collections on 2/3 of my CR's. Aside from that, I would just like something trustworthy and accurate to check every month or two to make sure if I go to buy a car or anything else, no surprises occur.

Now, as far as your siganture, I have zero debt... no card balances, no car payment, no mortgage - aside from a cell phone monthly bill and car insurance, I have nothing revolving owed or otherwise. Since that accounts for over 30% of my score, I figure I'm alright there. But, I am still curious and in need of removing any collection from my report, and making sure nothing pops up out of the blue that side-tracks the hard work and timely paying I've done for 5 years.

If you have any thoughts about that, I'd love to hear them... especially since you've already sold me on the idea of not needing a FICO anyway :)Thanks!!!!! :mrgreen:

PS: Do 1-29 day late payments on credit cards report to CRA's, or only 30+ day delinquency in payments?

Keep in mind that when it comes to actual FICO scores that someone who is going to lend you money actually looks at...there are many different scoring models.

If the only negative you have on your reports is an apartment collection, the only FICO score that hurts much is the one apartment managers might look at.

The FICO bank card score is used by CC's to predict who is going to pay them interest and occasional late fees. That's why "utilization" is part of that.

The FICO new car score is weighted more toward how you've paid car loans.

The FICO mortgage score is best with 0% utilization.

As for the "late" categories on your reports, think of them as "buckets". If you pay before the due date, you go in the "pays on time" bucket. If you miss the due date, you go in the "30 day" bucket. Etc.

Nothing about disputing online makes it easier for the other side. You may want to dispute something in writing (CMRRR) so that you have evidence you did it, but other than that, you stand a better chance of getting your dispute entered accurately if you do it yourself, online, rather than relying on some miminum wage data entry person to ready your letter and translate it into the appropriate code.

If, when you dispute on line, you're given a "reference number", that will get you your free report.

I wanted to thank you for letting me in on this secret my friend... all this time I thought I had read something about avoiding online disputed because in a way it steamlined the process and made debt verification that much easier and faster for the CRA's or Collection Agency. But you make a great point about being able to print the confirmation number online when you make a submittal, it would be MUCH more costly and time-consuming to use Express Mail and delivery confirmation etc like mentioned on the website here.

I have also been doing research and looks like it is a HORRIBLE idea to create and enact any dispute on the government freeannualreport.com website, because it creates a longer window (45 days opposed to 30 via mail-in) that the CRA's have to verify information and send you a response before being legally forced to delete it.

So I want to take your advice and dispute online for a good electronic paper-trail, but I want to do it agency by angency for the big-3 (whiechever might have false or inaccurate info) so that I don't give them an entire extra 2 weeks to get back in touch with me and ruin my hopes of deleting some bad items from my report(s). But... then I can't get another free report, right?

What a conundrum! :confused:

NOTE: freecreditreport.com is a scam. That's one of the CRAs blantant attempts to make it appear as though its the government mandated site...and, it only is "free" if you also sign up for "triple advantage" service.

Its www.annualcreditreports.com that you want. And, yes, it does give them 45 days to validate...but, IMO, so what? Its free. Its 100% accurate and complete. And the extra 15 days isn't going to make the end result any different...

NOTE: freecreditreport.com is a scam. That's one of the CRAs blantant attempts to make it appear as though its the government mandated site...and, it only is "free" if you also sign up for "triple advantage" service.

Its www.annualcreditreports.com that you want. And, yes, it does give them 45 days to validate...but, IMO, so what? Its free. Its 100% accurate and complete. And the extra 15 days isn't going to make the end result any different...

Gotcha. I am going to have to make a dispute then, since I already got my free gov annual report this past summer and can't log-on again. Only 2 out of the 3 reports have inaccurate info as of last summer, so how would I go about viewing the 3rd CRA for free? At any rate, this is a great idea and I'm going to give it a go :)

*This is the post that always made me refuse to do anything on-line, but maybe a trade-line dispute is different than a regualr dispute? http://debt-consolidation-credit-repair-service.com/forums/showthread.php?t=263996 (I have no idea, if you could explain, I think my online fears would be put to rest!)

PS: In your opinion, once my dispute techniques are exhausted and I can't get up-to-the-minute reports from annualcreditreport.com, would your 2nd choice be MyFICO.com in that situation for accurate and honest reporting and as "close as you can get" FICO scores?

FICO scores from myFICO.com are the only accurate CONSUMER scores you have access to. Note that this might not be the same score someone who is going to lend you money would see.

The only source I know of for 100% complete credit reports is www.annualcreditreports.com OR a written request to the CRAs (their online line sites have fine print that says "may not be FCRA compliant"). One way to get a copy after your disputes are settled is...apply for credit, and get turned down...then use that to request a new copy.

Heres what I've been doing. Jan1- annualcreditreport.com then May1 buy reports and Fico scores from myfico (using discount codes of course) and again Sept 1 buy reports and scores again from myfico. Then back to Jan 1 get the annualcredit report again.

I've done truecredit and freecreit etc but always cancel during trial. It sucks now that myfico no longer has ex- but I don't think many lenders pull ex anyway.

You can always get updates fron doing disputes.

I don't want to get into the habit of worrying too much about my scores- good habits and low debt and patience will get you there. I've learned alot by following WTC's signature "manage your debt, not your score"

Heres what I've been doing. Jan1- annualcreditreport.com then May1 buy reports and Fico scores from myfico (using discount codes of course) and again Sept 1 buy reports and scores again from myfico. Then back to Jan 1 get the annualcredit report again.

I've done truecredit and freecreit etc but always cancel during trial. It sucks now that myfico no longer has ex- but I don't think many lenders pull ex anyway.

You can always get updates fron doing disputes.

I don't want to get into the habit of worrying too much about my scores- good habits and low debt and patience will get you there. I've learned alot by following WTC's signature "manage your debt, not your score"

Agreed, the more education I receive here and over at MyFICO (only forums I frequent) the more I relaize there is no such thing as a true NEED for a FICO, at least the one I can access! As I have read and been told, the FICO is specialized for certain circumstances, the big-3 being credit cards, car loan, and mortgage. So, the FICO score from MyFICO would be an interpretation of those scores, but it's not like I could print out my FICO tomorrow morning, and drive over to a Ford dealership and say "I'd like a Ford F-150 please at 0% financing." (Right? lol)

All I am truly concerned with is accuracy, and (not to beat a dead horse) removing the collection on my account from my previous residence that I moved out of early :( But as I was told her, that certain collection will only count if I am applying for a mortgage or renting, right? (But if that collection is the only big negative on my report, doesn't it lower my FICO and thus interest rates on everything, even if it isn't an apartment complex or a new home?)

At any rate, thanks for your ideas about strategy... every 3 months, I like it, that way you only pay for 3 a year - and the 4th one is on the Government, lol :)

Collections of any kind hurt. Old collections hurt less. Non-car related collections don't hurt car score much at all. Same for non-CC related collections and Bank Card score. If you were to apply for a mortgage, MAYBE, the mortgage loan oficer would insist upon it being paid before loan approval.

Get rid of it if you can, but don't stress over it.