mt2va

medical bills

Okay having got burned once by ignoring a summons to court on my husband's medical bills (dummy me had no idea I was liable for them) & subsequently had a judgment entered against me & my wages garnished I have the same situation occuring & wanted some input. (& its on my credit report!!!)

Its a very long story & if it would be helpful I will post it, but the facts are the bill is over $3,000 & it is from July/August 2006. The SOL for Virginia I believe is 3 years. (not sure if it is different for medical bills) Every single month they send a bill. Nothing else. Just a bill asking for their money.

In the beginning I tried telling them to file to my insurance & they wouldn't. I filed & it was denied as not covered (part of the long story) & I appealed. They wouldn't send in the records my insurance requested. Finally due to other issues in my life (like much of my credit problems) I just let things slide.

So now that I'm on my credit repair journey I'm wondering is it best to just ignore them until the SOL expires? Or should I even bother contacting them to tell them they never sent the records my insurance company requested. (the insurance company probably would not pay it at this late date so that isn't really relevant any more I don't think)

My last contact to them was in late 2006. We have made no payments on this bill at all nor has the insurance company.

I would advise you to research your state laws regarding medical bills (as far as the SOL goes) but if it is as close to becoming out of statute as it appears; I would strongly advise you to not open the closet and wake up this monster.

Understand, as well, if the bill is legitimate then don't assume you'll get it off your credit report anyway until the allowable reporting period has passed (unless you have the funds and intent of settling the debt to get it off your report).

Thanks I will do some research on the SOL re: medical bills. At this point its not on my credit report. Its my husband's debt. I just got burned badly with a judgment on my CR previously because I had no idea that I could be sued for his medical bills & they garnished my wages for several months which really hurt us financially.

I'm thinking in this case they can't put it on my CR unless they sue me in court & get a judgment as that is what happened last time with the other medical bills. Also if we ever ended up in court I think we would have a pretty good defense as neither my husband nor myself signed any paperwork agreeing to be financially responsible for anything. He was court ordered by a judge to the facility he was in.

But yeah I was thinking best to let this sleeping dog lie & hopefully slink off on its own.

You may wish to take RN's advice and not 'open the door' but definitely pull your head up out of the sand.

"...can't put it on my CR..."

Wrong. It can go on your CR as a tradeline. If the Medical Service Provider sues and gets another judgment, the matter multiplies and becomes two derogatory items - one in the TL's and one in the Public Records section. That's twice the damage.

"...neither...signed any paperwork agreeing to be financially responsible..."

That doesn't matter. If he received treatment, even 'ordered' treatment, he is liable. And apparently, in your state, as his spouse - so are you.

No I know it can be on my CR once they get a judgment as that is what happened last time but I meant it wasn't on there now.

I did some research on the SOL in VA but I'm not sure what kind of debt medical falls under to know if its 3, 5, or 6 years.

Is the bill with a ca or still with the hospital/dr's office?

It is still with the original provider.